We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz 'Florence airport' location for rental car drop off.

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz 'Florence airport' location for rental car drop off.

Hi All,

I thought I’d post this as it may help others. I had to return a Hertz rental car to the ‘Florence airport’ (Italy) location. Because I needed to pick up a replacement car I had no booking info and assumed that the drop off point was at the airport with a name like "Florence airport". Wrong. What I didn’t know was that the drop off point is not actually at the airport but 5 minutes away in a hard to find location. I made the mistake of going to the airport where, inside the airport, the following instructions were available.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Leave the airport, go straight and pass the traffic light.

2. Pass under the railway bridge and after a few meters take the first right. Attention: don’t go onto the main viaduct “Scandico-Siena”.

3. Proceed ahead on the Via Francesco Basile which, after the next traffic light becomes Via Palagio degl Spini the entrance is at the end of the hedge on the right.

Car Rental parking area: Via Palagio degli Spini – Coordinates GPS N43[degrees]48’00” / E11[degrees]11’48”.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

After paying for my temporary parking at the airport I used the GPS coordinates to make my way to the rental car park 5 minutes away.

The entrance to the rental car park is difficult to see as it's in the shadow of a raised motorway on a one way street. Luckily my wife saw it. To help you, know that the entrance to the rental car park is a right turn under the raised motorway and just past a pedestrian crossing. Type “Via Palagio degli Spini, Florence, Province of Florence, Italy” into Google maps and drop the yellow man on this location (the “A” sticker) to bring up the Google ‘street view’ for a visual representation that will help you recognise the turn off.

Notes:

- This info was correct as at Jul-2013. Check regularly in case the rental return location has changed since.

- A shuttle runs between the rental car park and the airport.

- The Hertz location is actually the location for the other rental companies too like Avis, Budget, and Europcar.

Cheers.

57 replies to this topic
smack dab midwest
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hertz 'Florence airport' location for rental car drop off.

prego! just remember to have your international and your USA drivers licenses and your passport with you when you pick up your rental car. always inspect it for any scratches/dents and register them with the agent before you drive off. and know what kind of fuel - gas or diesel. AND get to know the car - drive around the parking lot a couple of times so you know where all the buttons and gadgets are - especially the windshield wipers, headlights, and air-conditioning is located.

have fun - drive safe!

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Hertz 'Florence airport' location for rental car drop off.

Sensible advice, izzy. Many people are so keen to get underway that they just turn the key and head for the highway (to hell :) without doing those checks.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
125 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Hertz 'Florence airport' location for rental car drop off.

I just returned our rental car today and even after reading the guidance in this thread, I still had a hard time finding the entrance to the car rental area. Eventually I saw the inconspicuous sign and the small entrance! I must say that returning the rental car was something I don't want to remember for my trip. Good thing I allowed lots of time for this. The shuttle service to the airport was very prompt - every 15 min interval.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Hertz 'Florence airport' location for rental car drop off.

THIS WAS POSTED BY 'SWOHLSTADT' ON THE FORUM TODAY (11TH MAY) IT IS A VERY HELPFUL PIECE OF ADVICE WITH PLENTY OF IMPORTANT IMFORMATION :

I wanted to write this post because of the appreciation I have for these forums and how helpful they are. When I travel I "over" plan and driving in Italy creates anxiety for many of us and this article will hopefully reduce a little of that anxiety. This is the latest information about rental car pick up and return at Florence Airport and it is the latest since I just returned yesterday, May 10, 2014 from a wonderful trip to Tuscany. Upon getting your bags from the baggage carousel at the airport follow the crowd to the main arrivals hall. At this point there is only one way to go. Look up and there is a clear yellow sign that directs you to "Rent a car Shuttle Bus". Follow the signs and it directs you clearly to the only door that you should go to since right across the street is the clearly marked "Rent a Car shuttle Bus" with the names of the major rental Car companies and an area that points you to stand just to the left of this building. There is one bus that goes back and forth to the off airport premises desks for the companies and where their cars are. There is not a way to walk here. I am sure you have picked your favorite major company in advance and made reservations. I happen to use Avis. All I will say is that Avis was great. After filling out some final paper work, they give your keys, tell you your spot and you are off on your adventure. The Rental Car Return is a little tricky however if you follow these instructions that I am giving you, you will be thrilled. First...the offices open at 8:00AM however even if you plan to arrive to return the car earlier, don't worry the shuttle bus goes between the terminal and this Rental Car facility starting at 5:00 AM according to Avis rep who advised me of this upon initial car pickup. I can attest that the shuttle bus picked us up at 7:45 AM on the day we returned our car and this was prior to the offices being open. All the companies have an easily viewed Key Drop Box. After we parked in an Avis Spot (this was there only request), we removed our luggage, walked to the drop box, dropped our key in it and went to the shuttle bus stop which is right next to building on the opposite side of the building from the drop boxes. I promise this will be very easy. Finally and by far the most important is how to you find this rental car return building when you are returning your car after you wonderful trip to Tuscany?? You want to make your flight and have low anxiety about getting lost now. I did not go to the airport first to drop off the luggage and look for this "off airport rental car return facility". As I would do in the states I drove directly to this rental car return building with my wife so we were together for this if for some reason I got lost. In one of these posts and I highly recommend GOOGLE MAPS" APP on your smartphone and put in "Via Palagio degli Spini", Firenze, Italy. If you do this and trust your GPS it will take you to the front door of the rental car return. Let me emphasize there are not any large signs that say Rental Car Return" like in the states but rather a small black sign as you are right in the exit toward the place. This info was first noted in one of these blogs and I was so appreciative. Secondly, if you use Google Maps on a larger computer all your latest searches are saved on your phone as long as you were signed into your google email. If you put in "via Palagio degli Spina" you van literally see the last exit they recommend and see that small black sign and also via satellite zoom down on the parking lot and read the names of the major Car Rental companies". Enjoy Ciao!!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
272 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Hertz 'Florence airport' location for rental car drop off.

thanks for the post.....and the others about the ztl issues w downtown.....as a result i changed my drop location and though my gps ran me thru the airport for a lap, i just used my instincts from this post and found ok. also there were taxis right there....my advise for a drop in florence is here and worth the 22e taxi ride if going downtown.

Virginia, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Hertz 'Florence airport' location for rental car drop off.

How to identify and arrive at the Hertz rental car dropoff site at the Pisa International airport

Michigan
Level Contributor
118 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Hertz 'Florence airport' location for rental car drop off.

Typing in the coordinates worked perfect. Just look to your right when you are directly under the bridge. We rented a car from Avis in Venice and returned the car in Florence without a problem! Took the shuttle back to the airport without a problem. Thank you for posting this post and making our return car trip go so smoothly.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Hertz 'Florence airport' location for rental car drop off.

Peter - all the rental companies' areas are in the same place. Just follow the signs when you get to the airport. Very straightforward.

Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Hertz 'Florence airport' location for rental car drop off.

Hi everyone, we will be renting a car from Hertz for a day, and have a US drivers license. Does Hertz require you to have an International Drivers license as well, in order to rent a car from them?

Please let me know as we leave for Italy soon! Thank you!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Hertz 'Florence airport' location for rental car drop off.

It is an IDP that is permit, it's not a license. It translates your license into Italian. Unlikely they will ask. I have yet to be asked for one by ANY car rental agency. Without one, though, if you get stopped by the police, for anything, including just a routine check, you COULD be in trouble.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 21:00
Reply to: Hertz 'Florence airport' location for rental car drop off.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted