We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Florence from Siena - where do we park?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
buddy032606
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Florence from Siena - where do we park?

Hello,

My husband and I are staying just outside Siena for the week and would like to go to Florence for a day trip. Would you suggest to drive our car which we have rented for the week or just take a bus or train from Siena? I know parking is tough in cities, so if you could suggest a good place to park that would be great.

Thanks!

Allyson

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Florence from Siena - where do we park?

Park near Siena train station, and take a train into Florence. If you try to drive in Florence, there is a high probability that you will accidentally drive into a prohibited area, or in a bus lane, and will be hit with multiple €100 fines months later.

buddy032606
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Florence from Siena - where do we park?

thank you Sydneynick

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Florence from Siena - where do we park?

And do be aware that Siena (and many other places) also have these limited traffic zones. If you don't already know all about them, read here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Florence from Siena - where do we park?

I have to admit, I like the convenience of driving the car into Florence, yes you have to be careful not to fall foul of the ZTL and the Bus only lanes. I always park in Piazzale Michelangelo, spend some time looking at the wonderful views over the city before walking down to the centre.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 12:21
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Florence from Siena - where do we park?

I like taking the many inexpensive and convenient trains into Central Florence. You arrive in the center of things, do not have to worry for the next year about a bus lane or ZTL violation and search for another parking area when the Piazzale Michrlangel is closed for a public event.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Florence from Siena - where do we park?

I have to agree. I live here and would never think to drive and park in Florence. The train is just so much more easy and convenient. Why risk ZTLs or Bus lanes?

buddy032606
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Florence from Siena - where do we park?

We ended up driving to Florence and parked at the Parcheggio beccaria. It is underground parking, very close to the old city (near Santa Croce) and in no ZTL zones where you can get a ticket for driving. Very easy!!!

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
8,975 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Florence from Siena - where do we park?

Thanks for the feedback, buddy. Glad it worked out for you.

9. Re: Driving to Florence from Siena - where do we park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 07:18