We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence or Sorrento for a holiday?

Level Contributor
151 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Florence or Sorrento for a holiday?

Hi all,

My partner and I are wanting to get away for 5 days at the end of August and we can't decide between these 2 destinations. He is well travelled (although hasn't been to either) and I am not!

What do you prefer and why?

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,779 Reviews
from US$112.70*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,108 Reviews
from US$112.70*
Tuscany Cooking Class, Market Tour...
1,327 Reviews
from US$122.70*
Cinque Terre Tour from Florence
695 Reviews
from US$112.70*
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,737 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence or Sorrento for a holiday?

It's comparing apples to oranges! Sorrentino is a beautiful little coastal town , close to Naples, Pompei, Vesuvius and Capri. Florence is a wonderful city surrounded by the Tuscan countryside, full of beautiful Renaissance churches and palaces with some of the finest Renaissance paintings and sculptures in the world. Read up about both places and decide which is better for you - both are fabulous.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,806 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence or Sorrento for a holiday?

www.discovertuscany.com Bus Pisa airport to Florence www.terravision.eu

Buses to Siena and San Gimignano www.busfox.com/timetable

Trains to Pisa and Lucca www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag

www.sorrentotourism.com Bus Naples airport to Sorrento www.curreriviaggi.it

Train Sorrento to Pompeii Scavi www.eavcampania.it

Amalfi coast ferries www.alicost.it www.capri.net

Amalfi coast buses www.sitasudtrasporti.it Click on Orari" for Campania bus times

Campania and Tuscany regional info www.italia.it/en/home.html

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Level Contributor
39,647 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence or Sorrento for a holiday?

You have to decide if you want a city break or a beach break then the decision will be easy.

Level Contributor
66 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence or Sorrento for a holiday?

AS already stated 2 completely different and wonderful experiences. Florence for culture , while Sorrento has natural beauty and is a gateway to Capri and the Amalfi coast. Decide and I could give recommendations on how to spend youir time

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence or Sorrento for a holiday?

Beach beach beach in August. We couldn't agree more with Pericoloso, that said. We would, however, add that limoncello tastes much, much better in situ. Is all.

Or please come to Florence, and make sure that your hotel has totally, 100%, functioning air-conditioning.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 17:47
Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence or Sorrento for a holiday?

That's a very tough decision. Both are unique, different and wonderful. Easy to do great day trips from either. As others have said, really depends on what type of break you are looking for.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence or Sorrento for a holiday?

Florence is hot at this time of the year. If you are into art, history etc then Florence will be of interest with perhaps a side trip to the Tuscan hills.

I'd go for Sorrento. The reason being you can base yourselves there. Get a large car ferry across to the Isle of Capri and go in a bus to the top for views over the bay up to Anacapri. You can get a jaw dropping bus trip around the Amalfi Coast to Amalfi and then a bus up to Ravello right up above with more views and a restaurant right up over the water also. You can get the train up to Pompeii which is just across the road from the train station...make sure the station is Pompeii the ruins and not the town. You could spend hours there but sunscreen, hats good walking shoes as there is no real cover there. Can get drinks across the road from the entrance. Sorrento is romantic but no beach but swimming can be done there. Touristy and probably dearer south of Rome. We did 1 day to Amalfi and time around the shops of Sorrento when we got back. 1 day over to Isle of Capri and still time to look around Sorrento later. 1 day up to Pompeii and only spent 4 hours there as it became cold and wet.There is a little bus that goes down to the harbour in Sorrento about 1 euro one way and will take you down to the car ferry where you buy your ticket to Capri. There are also some restaurants down there at Marina Grande. The bus that goes to Amalfi leaves from the main piazza also. The train station is about two or three blocks back up the main street in. Lemoncillo is big down there and lemon trees grow around town. We spent 5 nights in Sorrento.

My reviews

Amalfi Coast Road by local bus

Amalfi the town

Ravello up above Amalfi We caught a bus where we alighted to get up above Amalfi.

Capri and Anacapri

I have been to Florence twice. It rained every day the first time. the second we had an apartment with a great view of the Duomo and this cathedral was just up our via and a good location. Here is my review the first time.

Hope this helps in the decision. Loooove Italy

Edited: 23 July 2013, 06:13
Clermont, New Jersey
Level Contributor
180 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence or Sorrento for a holiday?

My vote goes to Sorrento, although I agree that they are very different choices and it is of course subjective. I base it more on the time of year and the idea of heading away from a city and to the coast. Sorrento is a wonderful town and a great transportaion hub to explore the area. If you do the Amalfi coast, I recommend hiring a driver in an air conditioned car, rather than the bus. As an alternative to the hydrofoil, you could rent a little outboard motorboat to go to Capri. (Boat rental company is Nautica sic sic, down at Marina Piccola.) If it's too hot for Pompeii, consider a day trip by hydrofoil to Ischia. Either way, you can't go wrong...it's Italy!

Edited: 25 July 2013, 04:33
9. Re: Florence or Sorrento for a holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:21