We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uffizi or Academia

Fenton
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Uffizi or Academia

I know this is a tough question. We have one day in Florence and don't want to do an all day tour. Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uffizi or Academia

It depends on whether you like the sculpture of Michaelangelo or Italian Renaissance art. The Academia can be seen with a relatively short visit. The Uffizi can take hours and hours.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,932 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uffizi or Academia

We chose Academia as David was high on the list of art people wanted to see. We booked tickets ahead online. The museum is quite small so it worked well for us.

We also saw the sculptures outside behind the Uffizi, some quite wonderful.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uffizi or Academia

First time to Florence we had booked in advance the Uffizi and I was a bit disappointed as it seemed to be rooms of Madonna and child mainly in large paintings. Not that many statues either. We missed David at the Accademia then as he was out of town! This time we booked in advance and paid more but it was worth it as when we arrived there were long queues and we basically went straight in. I was in awe of this statue and you will be too once you see it....I know there is not an aweful lot to see there but we were glad we came as I had no idea just how overpowering this statue is on approach and not only in size, but the presence of it and the beauty of the way it was made.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 04:53
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,713 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uffizi or Academia

I have been to the Uffizi a dozen times and to the Academia once -- the Uffizi is a marvel BUT with only one day, Academia and David because David is one of those singular pieces of art everyone should see in their lifetime.

Lanaken, Belgium
Level Contributor
28 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uffizi or Academia

If I had to pick, i'd take the accademia. Mostly because true painted art does not seem to interest me. I also feel that, with the limited time available, there are better and more beautiful things to do in Firenze such as the Pitti Palace including all other sections and the Boboli gardens.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uffizi or Academia

I don't think anyone can answer this for you, it's a personal thing - it comes down to what you, yourself, would most like to see.

The Accademia is smaller, but if you choose to go to the Uffizi, you could just identify a few things - the Botticellis, for example - and leave the rest.

To save time queuing, I would make a reservation beforehand - whichever one you choose.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uffizi or Academia

The first time I went to Florence I didn't do either. Same with the second. Finally, on my third visit I went and saw David.

We don't feel the pressure to visit what guide books note as "musts". Your musts are completely up to you. You may have a different list of want to sees. Completely up to you.

As your self, what is it I absolutely want to see in either the Accademia or Uffizi and then decide if you really must visit one or the other.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
377 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uffizi or Academia

I'm not an art fan but when I went to Florence I too had to decide between the two. I prebooked my ticket for the Uffizi and spent about two and a half hours there. It was fantastic . If you are there all day perhaps you could do one place very early in the morning then the other later on afternoon having a break for lunch and a walk around town. Whatever you do, book up in advance and read up on these places before you go as you will get much more out of your trip with a little research .

Nicola

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,165 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uffizi or Academia

To me there's so much to see in Florence that unless you are there for at least 3 full days or you are an art buff (if you ask I'm guessing you are not) than I would not do Uffizi or spend 3 hours inside any museum. Spending that time walking around Florence, seeing David, and perhaps Mercato Centrale would be my choice. I would also use the extra time to take a taxi to stunning San Miniato and Michaelangelo square

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
949 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uffizi or Academia

I also think.Accademia would be a better choice, David is an icon, the museum is small and can be seen in under an hour so it fits with a tight schedule. We played the 30 min Rick Steve's podcast which was interesting. I also liked Michaelangelos prisoners, the painted religious art and gift shop and my husband liked the musical instruments as well. We were there well over an hour and I would have liked to spend a few more minutes in the gift shop but we had to move on.

The art in Italy in museums and churches is overwhelming but you don't forget David.