We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence next week--concerned about heat

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
maryland
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Florence next week--concerned about heat

We are heading to Florence in a week and I've been checking the weather reports and am beginning to get a bit concerned. I knew it would be hot in August, but didn't realize how bad it would be! It looks like it will be around 100°F the entire time we are there. I'm starting to wish we had planned to spend that time at the coast instead, but we have an apartment reserved now and Museum reservations.

Does anyone have suggestions or ideas on ways we can spend our days to keep cool? I'm reading that we will be miserable sightseeing during the daytime hours, and that the museums aren't particularly cool. We have 3 1/2 full days in the area. Is it possible to do a day trip to the coast somewhere to spend that time at the beach? I've also seen posted here that there is a swimming pool we can go to.

Any suggestions?!

Thanks!

Lanaken, Belgium
Level Contributor
28 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence next week--concerned about heat

There are a multitude of swimming pools in Florence. One large is close to the acf fiorentina stadium for instance. Do keep in mind that not every swimming pool is public. Try googling it in italian and english, as there is a site which combines all information about Florentine swimming pools.

Unfortunately im on my mobile phone. Ill try and find the link tomorrow.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,374 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence next week--concerned about heat

Get up as early as you can and do as much as possible in the morning. Have lunch and then a siesta. Head out again late afternoon and walk the city in the evening. Churches are always havens of coolness and many are free to enter. There is an open air pool at the Cascine park. Lots of gelati helps!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence next week--concerned about heat

It's been hot during our stay here (since Weds) but not 100 degrees. We walked along the street where there is shade - best time to get out is in the morning before 10am and later in the day. But, we have been out all day, walking and enjoying this city! Lots of places to eat and most are open late (11pm). We drank lots of water and ate a lot of gelato, too. :D There is a gelato store in every block it seems!

Museums and churches are cool - at times not cool enough from a walk in the hot air of the day. Though most have a/c in their galleries. Wear comfortable clothes - breathable and lightweight. I would purchase tickets ahead of time for museums or churches so that you're not standing in line (in the heat) to get in. I overhead a couple who waited an hour to purchase tickets to the Accademia. We reserved ahead of time and only waited 15 minutes to get in. Florence is a very walkable city - just go slowly and you'll enjoy it more! And drink lots of water.

Hope this helps!

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence next week--concerned about heat

We are in Florence now and it is hot but with the right clothes should be fine. In the city the buildings provide lots of shade, just make sure you have sunscreen, good sunglasses and a hat. Plus drink lots of water, you can find water at all the bars, gellateria or shops, just be prepared to pay 1.5 euros for 0.5 l or 2.5 euros for 1.5 l. If you buy it outside the historic area you get a 6 pack of 1.5 l for only 2.4 euro total. There's a water fountain at the Palazzo vecchio but lots in line. To exchange money try post office at the train station Santa Maria Novella, they have the best rate and only a comission of 2.5 euros per transaction. By comparison the exchange places have the same rate with a "tiny" commission of 9.8% so be careful and forget about banks, mostly don't exchange money unless you have an account there. About going for a swim there are trains that go to Livorno, Antignano and Castiglioncello, just check at the station. It takes 1 hour 30 minutes to Antignano where we came from and the beaches in that area are great for snorkelling, beautifully rocky not sandy. They are Blue Flag and many. Lots of busses in the area. Just make sure you have a good idea of the last trains to return to Florence. Or go to Cinque Terre as a day trip but unless you want to feel the burn on their hills for 2 hours at a time just get the train pass and use the train to see all 5 cities. Hope this helps, have fun!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence next week--concerned about heat

take some mosquito repellent with you as well, for both skin & air................

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence next week--concerned about heat

There is a red alert for Florence this weekend which will probably continue for some days next week. Temperatures are expected to reach 39°C (102°F). Take the precautions mentioned above and if I may add my own tip: drink no alcohol whatsoever as it, together with the high temperatures, will quickly cause dehydration. Drink lots of water and juices, but no wine.

The alert is valid for other cities such as Rome and Bologna, and in Puglia, Calabria and Sicily temperatures will be even higher.

Well, it is mid-summer and it is usually like this.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence next week--concerned about heat

Look to plan visits to some Medicean Villas in the hills which have been recently awarded Unesco Heritage Sites. If you think about beaches, will find more crowd and mosquitos.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence next week--concerned about heat

It was hot yesterday during our tour of Siena, San Gimignano and Pisa. Get a hat, bring a water bottle, comfortable shoes and clothing - and don't rush. Walk quietly and easily. Pisa was nice - the wind was blowing for a nice breeze. We are off to Rome today - hot there too!

I grew up in hot weather and most of the time, I would be at a beach or get up early and do yardwork. Take a break until later in the day and continue with gardening or household chores.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florence next week--concerned about heat

Frankly i would not visit Florence at this time of year love it been three times allready all going well next March again. Locals say best time to visit is in spring or late autumn .However can only agree with others who say drink plenty water keep in the shade no alcohol and be careful.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,795 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence next week--concerned about heat

Florence is always killer hot in high summer -- it is usually several degrees hotter than Rome -- and it is also a town filled with mosquitos so bring your own effective repellent as the local stuff doesn't work (and those plug in coils for the room don't work either) more and more hotels are air conditioned. I would not book anything in Florence in summer that isn't.