We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thello Train from Florence to Paris

Lowell...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thello Train from Florence to Paris

We are thinking of taking the Thello night train from Florence to Paris, do anyone have any bad exoerience or advise to be considered? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,733 reviews
from US$113.70*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,321 reviews
from US$123.80*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$113.70*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
301 reviews
from US$101.00*
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thello Train from Florence to Paris

Plenty of information here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k5116890…

Although the thread was about the Thello between Paris and Venice, it applies to the Florence connection too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,142 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thello Train from Florence to Paris

I would advise you to avoid this train.

Vueling flies from Florence to Paris Orly, and easyJet from Pisa to Orly.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thello Train from Florence to Paris

Do a bit of Google research. This train has a terrible reputation.

Lowell...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Thello Train from Florence to Paris

Thanks for the warning, but could you elaborate on why?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,142 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thello Train from Florence to Paris

If you look at the thread referenced in reply #1, you should see why.

Lowell...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thello Train from Florence to Paris

Siidney, I did read it, but # 1 is about a guy that took the thello and enjoyed it ...

thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,142 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thello Train from Florence to Paris

Yes, the first post is in favour and is from a person who works in the industry. The other 90 posts are pretty solidly against the train, and are posted by typical travellers. Read the entire thread.

8. Re: Thello Train from Florence to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 August 2013, 15:35
Edited: 09 August 2013, 15:35
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thello Train from Florence to Paris

i just posted this in another thread, but in case it might be helpful to anyone who gets funneled to this one:

I just took the overnight Thello train from Firenze to Paris and wanted to report on our experience in November 2013 . The train arrived about 40 minutes late at Maria Santa Novella.

We were a party of 3 and booked a 3 bed sleeper cabin.

It was indeed quite dreadful and impossible to move with the three of us in there. With all three beds collapsed nobody could not reasonably sit up. The ladder to the third bed was at best precarious as someone who feels both agile and comfortable with heights. We had to move sleepers 4 times because one of the beds would not collapse. The minder who helped us move cabins and collected and distributed our passports was a really friendly service-oriented guy. The way he spoke about how to conduct ourselves on the train and his attitude just really reminded me of a sports coach, very much like "toughen up, you'll be ok!"

Indeed the dining car is completely devoid of food you would want to eat. They have several microwave pasta meals that run out quite quickly, and the skunkiest weak beer I've tasted since taking a 12 hour train between Beijing and Hong Kong. We were given several breakfast coupons but by the time we got to the dining car they had run out of breakfast. I suppose they must've had a dozen croissants to split for the train.

I definitely would suggest trying to find another way to commute between these two spots, however, if you have absolutely no choice then I would not hesitate to recommend this method of travel. We all did manage to sleep and the toilets were no more dreadful than toilets at a public hospital (as in, you think they're terrible and indeed they kind of are but likely they are cleaner than not).

I think this experience would have been quite alright had I been alone with a nice bottle of wine and a good book or mobile game, but for family trips or god forbid romantic trips it would be fairly miserable.

To end on a bright note it does seem a bit of a feat of technology and budgeting to be able to provide a hostel on wheels that moves between countries.

10. Re: Thello Train from Florence to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 05:15