We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Italy :) for 9 days

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First trip to Italy :) for 9 days

Good morning all

My husband and I are going on our vist holiday to Italy in mid September this year. This is also our first holiday out of South Africa together and we are very excited. All our flights and accomodations have been paid for. We will be in Florence from the17 to 21 September and Rome from 21 September to 25 September.

Since the South African rand is low against the euro, we are already on a budget, would it be possible please to get some idea of what the costs are like? Prices of pizza or a slice thereof? We are working on a budget of 76 euros per person. We want to do some sightseeing like the Duomo, Uffuzi, Colosseum, Pantheon and Trevi fountain. Is this doable? Our accomodation, flights and breakfast daily have already been paid.

Thank you:)

Swas

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Italy :) for 9 days

Shops selling slices of pizza ("pizza a taglio") are quite common in Rome, a little less common in Florence. There you can get a good slice of pizza for 3-4 euros on the average. It should be still hot enough to eat icecreams too (a cone costs some 2-3 euros), so you can organize some meals without paying a lot.

Notice that Rome is full of little fountains of fresh water available for free, so you don't have to buy mineral water, you can just take an empty bottle to refill here and there.

The Uffizi and the Colosseum are expensive. The Pantheon (and of course Trevi Fountain) are for free. For your budget and not only for that, I would suggest visiting the Bargello museum in Florence (it has an amazing collection of sculptures, it is never crowded and not so expensive, 4 euros), and in Rome, to plan to visit lots of churches. They are all free entry and many of them are full of art masterpieces, although most visitors ignore them. For instance, Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, Maddalena, Sant'Ignazio, Santa Maria della Vittoria, Sant'Andrea al Quirinale, San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane, San Giorgio al Velabro, Santo Stefano Rotondo, San Giovanni a Porta Latina...

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Italy :) for 9 days

Thank you :) Much appreciated!!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Italy :) for 9 days

We have travelled to Italy twice with our kids and are heading back in December and have always been on a budget. If you look around you can generally find somewhere selling reasonably priced panini or pizza.

You will need to prebook the Uffizi and Academia if you want to go there - there are threads on TA that explain the process (and the issues).

Then again, we've generally found that we have a brilliant experience without hitting many of the key tourist spots - for the amount of time you will be there, there are some great walks that will fill your time with great experiences. Look up Rick Steves website for some free maps with walks plotted out, and you can download podcasts to listen to as you go which are also free.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Italy :) for 9 days

There is a lot to see and do in Rome that is free. In addition to the amazing churches you'll see wonderful fountains and piazzas such as Piazza Navona and great views from the Gianicoli and from the Borghese Gardens.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Italy :) for 9 days

Hi Gary and Nancy

Thanks so much for the encouraging words and tips. I will have a look at Rick Steves site shortly and I think that it is great that an amazing experience can be had without doing touristy things or going to touristy places. :) Thanks a mil and much appreciated.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Italy :) for 9 days

Jy is welkom (my wife was born in Benoni....)

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Italy :) for 9 days

lol, my afrikaans is horrible maar se vir haar hello en baie dankie. geniet jou day verder:) oh ja en die meisies van Suid Afrika is baie wonderlik en pragtig, jy het die regte keuse gemaak.

haha i think thats about all the afrikaans i can remember from my matric year.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Italy :) for 9 days

Baie dankie en ek het! Had to learn a little so I knew what her dad was saying about me....

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Italy :) for 9 days

hahaha spoken like a true son-in-law, lolol. have great day!!

10. Re: First trip to Italy :) for 9 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 05:16