We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montepulicano, Pienza, - closer to Rome or Florence?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Montepulicano, Pienza, - closer to Rome or Florence?

Hello,

We are looking at hiring a driver for a tour to Montepulicano, Montalcino, and Pienza, however I understand it is 2 hours driving from Florence? Are these villages closer to Rome for a day trip than Florence (as we will be in Rome prior to Florence).

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montepulicano, Pienza, - closer to Rome or Florence?

If you have a quick look at a map of Italy, you will see that these places are much closer to Florence.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montepulicano, Pienza, - closer to Rome or Florence?

I'm sure some local experts will chime in, but for now..... this will be a very long, rushed day trip. Are you not wanting to rent a car? You could rent a car in Rome and spend a few days in the area of Montalcino/ Pienza/Montepulciano (worth every minute BTW) and then drop your car off en route to Florence.

We found the driving in Italy quite straight forward and manageable.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montepulicano, Pienza, - closer to Rome or Florence?

I commented earlier on your other post giving an idea of driving times / amount of time you might want to spend in each town. Although doable, it is, as TravelBug, rightly points out going to be a long day out, especially with a toddler in tow.

Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Montepulicano, Pienza, - closer to Rome or Florence?

i completely agree that it will be a very long day, and only a taste of the area...but we do plan on returning someday and driving the area then. It's just not in the cards for us this trip.

Torrance, CA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Montepulicano, Pienza, - closer to Rome or Florence?

just a thought... you could probably rent a car and a room in pienza for similar money to hiring a driver. Keep most of your luggage in the room in Florence and just pack the stuff you need for the night. Not sure how much more difficult it would be with a 15 month old and probably not much help here because you've made it sound like you're not up for driving but thought i'd mention it...

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montepulicano, Pienza, - closer to Rome or Florence?

OP, it is perfectly doable and there have been posters on this board who have done something identical before, my only concern (and I write this as someone who doesn't have children) is travelling with a small child, especially if you're coming when it's still quite hot. To minimise the amount of walking, maybe consider parking at the top of Montepulciano near the fortress as it's fairly flat from there into the main square. You won't see all the town but you will, I believe, see the best bits (Piazza Grande, il Duomo, a couple of very old cantinas if you're interested in wine tasting). My reply to your other post gave more detail as to timings, etc. Only you know how your little one will cope with the travelling but in theory what you would like to do is perfectly possible.

7. Re: Montepulicano, Pienza, - closer to Rome or Florence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 05:17