We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get to Chertaldo?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
how to get to Chertaldo?

Dear all!

I`ll be2 days in Florence and I`d like to go from there to Chertaldo.

What is the easiest way?(bus?)

HOw long it takes to go there?

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,020 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get to Chertaldo?

It is spelled Certaldo, although pronounced Chertaldo.

You take a local train, with the journey taking just under an hour and costing €5.80. Trains leave at 10 minutes past the hour most of the day.

Mentioned in this post
Certaldo
Certaldo
984 Reviews
Certaldo, Italy
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get to Chertaldo?

Did I understand right - that "10 minutes past the hour" means 1.10,2.10, 3.10 etc?

Do you think it`s worth visiting(if I have just 2 days in Florence)?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,020 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get to Chertaldo?

Yes. See www.trenitaia.com for exact times: I just looked at part of the day.

In 2 days, you can't see all that Florence has to offer. If you want to take a day trip, I would think that Siena or San Gimignano would be more enticing. But it is your decision.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get to Chertaldo?

thank you a lot!! I will make my mind =)

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how to get to Chertaldo?

There are actually two Certaldo's - Certaldo Basso (low) and Certaldo Alto (high). Certaldo Basso is where the train will leave you - it's a not very attractive town with a lot of commercial and light industrial activity. Certaldo Alto is where you want to go, and there is a funicular that will take you from the low part of town to the high part. This is a small but pristinely restored and maintained fortified medieval village, part of the Florentine defense system in its very long wars against Sienta. It's known for the most part for being the town where Giovanni Boccaccio was (possibly) born and where he spent his last years to write the "Decameron". If you're a devoted Boccaccio fan, or just in the mood to discover a sweet medieval village that still retains much of its flavor, this is a great place. But it's tiny and may getting to other towns that are close by, like San Gimignano, on public transportation is not easy so... choose wisely! You only have two days in Florence, and this will take up much of one of them!

Mentioned in this post
Certaldo
Certaldo
984 Reviews
Certaldo, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Florence
Florence
Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to get to Chertaldo?

Certaldo is a moderately interesting place with great literary associations, but definitely not something that should eat into only two days in Florence (unless you really are a Boccaccio nut, among whom I count myself).

http://www.certaldo-info.com/

Mentioned in this post
Certaldo
Certaldo
984 Reviews
Certaldo, Italy
Florence
Florence
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to get to Chertaldo?

Thank you for so good advises! I just wanted to see more of Toscana district and cam moove only with public transport, so just only town which are accecible by train. Ptobably from the train window and from the top of Certaldo hill could see Toscana landscapes=) Or the same views are from the hill in Florence?

Mentioned in this post
Certaldo
Certaldo
984 Reviews
Certaldo, Italy
Florence
Florence
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to get to Chertaldo?

probably you are right..

I`ll think whether to go or not

9. Re: how to get to Chertaldo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 07:18