We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car return

fca
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
41 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
rental car return

Hello all,

I need to return a car rented from Hertz in Florence. The address is "Florence Sesto Fiorentino IKEA -- Via Francesco Redi 1." The Hertz website shows this location as being south or the Arno; however Google Maps shows the same address as north of the city. Can anyone tell me which of these is correct? Also, I'll be in Florence for a few days, staying near Santa Croce, after dropping off the rental car. Hertz appears to have four offices in Florence: the airport, Via Ogni Santi, Via Sansovino and the Via Francesco Redi mentioned above. Does anyone have any suggestions on which of these locations would be most convenient?

Thanks in advance for your help.

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car return

The airport is the safest to drop off your rental car. You risk the ZTL and a heavy fine if you do something wrong.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car return

Yes, you need to know all about the ZTL in Florence and then you will soon realise that returning to the airport is the most sensible course of action. Read more here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

Boston...
Level Contributor
189 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car return

Adding a question to this. We want to pick up a car for a week somewhere near our rental apt. Can we return it to the airport on the day we leave rather than where we picked it up?

HelenR

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,471 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car return

Yes. One-way rentals are common in Italy.

Boston...
Level Contributor
189 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car return

Thanks SydneyNick. I have noticed that Austrailians know a lot about Italy and can answer many questions.

HelenR

fca
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
41 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car return

Hello all,

To return to my original question, does anyone know for certain where in Florence is the Hertz on Via Francesco Redi.

Thank you

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental car return

fca, my guess is neither locations are correct. If you take the number "1" away google shows the correct location which is in the IKEA complex on Via Francesco Redi. But I dont see Hertz there so it may be a newish location.

http://goo.gl/maps/YKqYY

I picked up my car at the Sansovino location

http://goo.gl/maps/WFDN0

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
103 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental car return

Ziggy, Thanks for providing that rental car location. do you foresee any ZTL problems with that location, as I plan to pick up the car at the airport ( FLR)and return it on my return from Greve at the Sansovino location mid week in the late morning?

This should work, yes? FYI, your posts are by far some of the best and most entertaining I have yet to encounter. Do you blog about Firenze, Toscana??

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental car return

Hey Russ, thanks for the comment. I dont see any problems with your plan and I dont see how one can mistakenly enter the ZTL zone unless of course you continue going and cross the river into central florence. I would probably take A1 all the way to the street leading into Sansovino, as oppose to taking Via Senese across town (unless you plan to eat at Da Ruggero as part of the plan - our favorite meal in Florence). looks fairly simple.

Yes, I do write about Tuscany, still. I even mentioned Mr B's in your town in the latest post. I have some NOLA content somewhere there as well. Cant wait to come back

http://eatingwithziggy.com/

Edited: 28 August 2013, 18:16
fca
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
41 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental car return

Ziggy60,

Thanks for the very useful information. I'll sort out where the "phantom" Hertz is located when I'm in Italy. By the way, I read that you stayed at Villa Grazianella. We'll be staying there as well. Based on your description, I'll need to fly home on a wide-bodied jet.

FCA