We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk Through The Rose Garden?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BC Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Walk Through The Rose Garden?

Are you able to walk through the rose garden to get up to Piazalle Michelangelo? Thought is to avoid walking on roads wher possible. Looking for easy route to P.M

Thank you

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk Through The Rose Garden?

There are often two gates open (one at the bottom of the garden, one almost at the top of it) but it's not exactly a short cut, it's more a very nice stroll through some pretty gardens. If you look on a map, you'll see there's a lane hugging the garden called Viale Galileo, this is actually a path set with broad steps and it's this that creates the short cut up to the Piazalle Michelangelo making the climb a lot easier than if you follow the road (Via del Monte alle Croci) which is pretty circuitous.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk Through The Rose Garden?

Grazie- that's exactly what I wanted to know- we will take the viale Galileo pathway. Also, is the way to San Mineato Church clearly marked once you are at P.Michelangelo?

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk Through The Rose Garden?

I am so sorry, I must have been half asleep when I posted earlier for the road I mentioned is absolutely not the one you take. The little lane with the steps that forms the short cut running up beside the Rose Garden is Via San Salvatore Al Monte leading up to the church of the same name and lined with Stations of the Cross. Viale Galileo is the main road leading up to Piazzale Michelangelo, apologies. But you don't really need the name, for the small lane is obvious. When you get to the top of it you turn left for the piazzale and the view point, right and then immediately left up a slight incline to go up to San Salvatore (a beautiful little church that definitely merits a visit). Keep going, keeping this church on your left up through the trees and you'll soon see the cemetery and the steps leading up to San Miniato. It's a really lovely walk, perhaps try and time it so that you arrive in time for Vespers in the crypt.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk Through The Rose Garden?

Thank you so much for this information- we leave for Italy tomorrow, Venice first, then Florence and ......

5. Re: Walk Through The Rose Garden?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:20