We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time in Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
How much time in Florence

Hi All,

I am going to Florence in the fall - first timer. I am not a huge museum buff but would like to visit a few (2 or 3). I would like to spend the rest of the time leisurely walking around the city and exploring the neighborhoods. Would 5 days be too long and would a day trip be recommended to Fiesole, for instance? Also a foodie, so any trips to the tuscan country side that are worthwhile? Thanks so much for the help!!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time in Florence

Five days is perfect. Fiesole is more like a half day trip, but there are other worthwhile trips you could make. Lucca and Siena are good ones, but if you really want to get into the countryside you could get a bus to Greve (several good restaurants) and walk to Montefioralle, for a taste of gorgeous scenery.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time in Florence

We found that Fiesole, hotel out to hotel back in, using the city busses ran about 7 hours, with a great lunch in Fiesole. It is an interesting place, even aside from the fabulous views of Florence.

No amount of time is sufficient for Florence, in my opinion, but five days should be a good start - and i would include a day excursion to both Siena and/or Lucca (two separate).

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time in Florence

I agree with the others 5 days is about right especially with day trips to Siena and lucca which is definitely worth it.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time in Florence

As a foodie, you might want to pick up a book which we found quite helpful:

The Food Lovers Guide to Florence with Culinary Excursions in Tuscany by Emily Wise Miller. I believe I got it on Amazon.com

There's also great foodie recommendations on chowhound.com You can do a search for Florence and get numerous threads.

Wandering the streets of Florence is magical. And don't ignore the other side of the Arno. The Oltrano area is wonderful.

Five days will give you time to really enjoy Florence and not just rush around hitting the high lights.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time in Florence

Five days is definitely not too long, you suggest that you're not a great fan of museums - well, in Florence you might just surprise yourself!

I agree with TravelBug, walking the streets of Florence is, indeed, magical - you trip over something interesting at every turn. I also agree about the Oltrarno, I've been to Florence more times than I care to admit and never tire of wandering around and exploring the artisan workshops although, sadly, they seem to be in decline. The area also has some great restaurants.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time in Florence

Thanks everybody for your feedback! 5 days it is.

TravelBug, I looked into purchasing the book but noticed it was published in 2003. Not knowing the contents of the book, could it be outdated at this point or does it mostly talk about areas of tuscany that you should explore? Thanks again!

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time in Florence

Let me take a look at my book when I get home. Not sure if there's a second edition.

I found the book quite useful and the places I noted were still in operation.

The book focuses on Florence but there are a few Tuscany trips that are interesting.

A great resourse is Elizabth Mincilli. She has a blog and also an app for Florence.

http://www.elizabethminchilliinrome.com/

Another good resource is Katie Parla. If you type Florence in the search, there are some good articles.

http://www.parlafood.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time in Florence

Great, thanks so much again!

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time in Florence

VB55 - My Food Lovers Guide is a second edition. Dates inside are 2003/2007.

I just flipped through it and saw no notes that one of the restaurants/cafes was closed. Always worth a cross check.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time in Florence

Awesome, I will be sure to buy it. Thanks!