We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to train station

Leominster...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
best way to train station

My husband and I will be needing to get to the Santa Maria train station by 8:15 one Monday morning from Cavour Grand Hotel. It doesn't look close enough to walk but the map I'm bringing looks deceiving. It's for a day tour that meets there. Would I be able to get a taxi from that hotel or what would you suggest?

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to train station

It's about 15 mins walk, 20 at the most. You could get your hotel to order you a taxi if necessary.

Leominster...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to train station

Thank you for getting back to me. It's so hard to judge walking time by looking at a map. We will walk.

Randolph, New Jersey
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to train station

Slightly off topic, but what is the exact address in Lat and Long terms for the entrance to the underground parking at the Florence train station? We have several cars coming from the south and need to park there. My BORCH 1 : 7,000 map shows a lot of one-way streets in the area, and of course we need to avoid the ZTL.

Endless searching with Google maps and the satellite views has not found it.

Yes, I know that parking outside the city is better but our contact says Train Station.

Thanks,

Richard

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to train station

Beverly, your hotel is on Via del Proconsolo - an easy 15 minute walk. Here's the Google Map: http://goo.gl/maps/RLDZZ. If you'd rather take a taxi, your hotel will call one for you.

Richard, if you're thinking of using a GPS to get anywhere in Florence... don't. The GPS doesn't know anything about the ZTL and will plow you right through it. The approach to the station and its car park is on Via Nazionale, which you'll reach from the "Viali". It does not take you through the ZTL. Here's a link to a Google Map of the location of the Station. The entrance to the underground parking lot is easy to get to and easy to find. As you enter Piazza della Stazione from Via Nazionale, you'll see a blue sign with a big white "P" on it on your right, in front of the station. That's the entrance to the car park.

Randolph, New Jersey
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to train station

Thanks for the info!

Since we are coming from the south, across the Ponte della Vittoria, and continuing in a NE direction onto Viale Fratelli Rosselli, can we turn right onto viaJacapo Scalia and at the next intersection see a parkling sign right across the street?

Getting my info from a BORCH 1:7000 map.

I do not see how to get to via Nazionale without going under the station, out the other side, and taking the first available right turn onto a street that connects to the Via Nazionale. Than going back southwest to see the Parking sign that you advise.

I'm concerned that it will get us into the ZTL

Thanks in advance.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to train station

Richard,

I think you've got Via della Scala mixed up with Via Iacopo da Diacceto, and both of them are going to get you screwed up. Go your second route: continue along the Viale, under the train tracks, past the Fortezza on your left, onto Viale Spartaco Lavagnini. Turn right onto what will become Via Nazionale (the street's name at it's beginning is Via Santa Caterina d'Alessandria but that's not important). This will take you directly to Piazza della Stazione and to the blue sign with the big white P, and you won't be in any danger of drifting into the ZTL.

Randolph, New Jersey
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to train station

Eugene:

Thanks for the instructions.

I can see your suggested route on the map.

The BORCH 1:7000 map shows a "P" symbol on the west side of the station right where Via Jacopo Diacceto intersects with Via Luigi Alamanni.

Of course, I do not know the boundaries of the ZTL and those streets could be in it.

But it would seem that it would not be since it is a parking garage.

If we missed the sign at the south end of the station or got really confused we could use that Parking entrance.

It is obvious that the ZTL does not include the major streets, but I do not know about the little ones.

It will be late when we return, after dark.

When we leave the Parking garage, can we take Via Valfonda north to Viale Filippo Strozzi, then go round the Firenzi Expo and head back south on the major roads?

I will expect to follow your directions to the Parking.

Thanks

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to train station

Ah Richard, never assume anything about Florence! The ZTL has some major streets in it as well! But fear not - the route you'll be on won't take you there.

When you approach Piazza della Stazione, keep your eye out for the blue and white "P" sign immediately on your right, in front of the station. You can't get to that other one on the west side because Via Alamanni is a one way street, in the wrong direction. If you miss the parking entrance, simply go around the piazza and try again!

Leaving the parking lot, you don't take Via Valfonda. You take Via Santa Caterina da Siena to Via della Scala. If you want to go back toward Ponte alla Vittoria, simply follow Via della Scala until you get to the Viali and turn left. If you want to go toward Piazza della Libertà, take Via della Scala to your second left: Via Rucellai. Turn right on Via Il Prato and take that to the Viale. You have no choice but to get on the Viale headed toward Piazza della Libertà.

Randolph, New Jersey
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to train station

Eugene:

You have been extremely helpful, and I hope other visitors to Florence will find the information as useful.

Just one last thing.

If we exit the other entrance on the west side of the station, can we just turn right onto Via Luigi Alamanni?

Then a left onto Viale Fratelli Rosselli and we are headed "home" to Castelllina in Chianti.

Not saying it is better, but there may be 3 cars in our group and we might get split up in the darkness or in the garage.

Many thanks again!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: best way to train station

Thanks for your kind words, Richard. Unfortunately, you can't turn right coming out of the west exit onto Via Alamanni because it's a one way street coming at you in the wrong direction. If you're going to Castellina, just turn right as you come out of the east exit of the parking garage, follow the traffic to Via S. Caterina da Siena, left on Via della Scala then left to Piazzale della Porta al Prato. This will take you to Ponte alla Vittoria.