We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how can i get my deposit back

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
13 posts
Save Topic
how can i get my deposit back

Hi,

I had a vacation in Italy a month ago. We had planned to stay 3 nights in Florence, and we looked for and booked the apartment via here. We had paid euro 117 for deposit via PayPal. On the day we're head down to Florence, the apartment agency sent me an email and said the property has "Black-out" problem and the booking had to be cancelled. They also said we can get back our deposit via PayPal. I already did the money request in PayPal. Now my vacation was end two weeks ago but my money still wasn't back. I sent them emails, SMS, PayPal .... but still no feedback from them. What can I do? Any suggestion?

SY

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how can i get my deposit back

Paypal is your best bet.

Melbourne
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how can i get my deposit back

I did it two weeks ago..... but no response.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how can i get my deposit back

The only thing you can do is insist with Paypal but I've found that theyre usually quick to get back to you. I've just checked out the refund section and it says that it can take up to 30 days for a refund but they should still have contacted you. Have you requested the refund via their Customer support section?

4. Re: how can i get my deposit back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 09:05
Melbourne
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how can i get my deposit back

Thanks for your advices.

My payment is over 60 days so i can"t do a refund request from there. I will ask PayPal for help to see how is going. But I am very annoying that the agency hasn't repied my email/sms/....

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how can i get my deposit back

Who was the agency? It is good to name and shame in situations like these, you will help out future travelers to avoid agencies with poor service.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how can i get my deposit back

Based on past experience with Paypal, you can only get your money back if you request it 30 days after the charge was made. After 30 days, you have to contact the bank that you issued the credit card through (up to 90 days after the charge was made). It is possible the agency knows this and is jsut feeding you a line to delay a fraud report being filed; this was common on ebay if you had no experience withn dealing with fraud through Paypal. if there is enough delay, you will pass the deadline on being able to file a fraud report, and then is no hope opf getting asny of the money back that way.

Have you contacted paypal about your request? In the past I have had to contact them about being defrauded on ebay and they always responded to my requests for info.

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: how can i get my deposit back

The credit card chargeback time limit varies with the bank. Six months is the most common, but it can be longer.

Melbourne
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: how can i get my deposit back

I've contacted PayPal. Here is their response...

"The Buyer Complaint Policy only applies to payments for tangible, physical goods which can be shipped, and excludes all other payments, including but not limited to payments for intangibles, for services or for licenses and other access to digital content. In addition, items prohibited in the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy are ineligible for coverage.

PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy is our best efforts program. This program reimburses users for losses only to the extent we are able to recover the funds from sellers. "

My payment was for the apartment booking deposit. It means that this payment is not eligible for the dispute resolution process. Still didn't get any reply/response from the agency. I am very upset and annoying. Even it is not a big money but still have a bad feeling. The booking has been cancelled, the deposit money were gone, took a day to look for the apartment, and because of urgency, paid more money to book for another apartment (double up our budget). It's a bad experience in Italy.

Could I trust the apartment agency in future?

Could I still use PayPal to pay if it is virtual or intangible item?

What can I do if I want to get my money back?

Chin

Melbourne
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: how can i get my deposit back

Still haven't gotten any feedback and answer from that agency. It's intolerable. PayPal can't help becuase they say the buyer protection / complaints policy only applies to payments for tangible, physical goods which can be shippedand. It was so funny that they suggested me to report to "local police".... ha ha ...

Is it a cheat?

It is shame in situations like these. I can do nothing but only can post the agency name here and under their property review. Hopefuly it can help out future travelers to avoid this agency.