We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sixt car rental company

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Sixt car rental company

I just read on the internet that Sixt car rental company should be avoided. I hold a reservation with Sixt to pick up a car at the Firenze airport which I can cancel without penalty in the next couple of days, and I can book through Auto Europe for a slightly higher cost. Should I do this?

Mentioned in this post
Firenze Suite
Firenze Suite
326 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sixt car rental company

Yes, and call Autoeurope and tell them of the price Sixt is offering...they may match it

San Diego
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sixt car rental company

Why should Sixt be avoided? I have a reservation in Milan in three weeks with Sixt.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sixt car rental company

Nearly every car rental has at least one negative review. Are there many regarding Sixt? I have used them at Pisa with no problems. If its AutoEurope the broker you could end up with much worse.

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sixt car rental company

Search "sixt" in the box above these posts - there are some quite gruesome reviews of Sixt to be found.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sixt car rental company

I have done . Without making light of others bad experiences. Of the handful of posts , one says they were't thrilled,but no explanation. several others complained about issues which are common to every car hire company in Italy.

I have no axe to grind for Sixt, but compared to some "horror stories" in Pisa, there's not a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Chesterfield...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sixt car rental company

If you would like to, you can send me the details of your reservation. I will make sure that you receive the best Sixt welcome possible! While I do so, I will double check the details with the branch for you.

Generally, there should be absolutely nothing to worry about when hiring from Sixt. Of course, mistakes can happen, as they can with anything, but if we do make an error we will always endeavour to do everything we can to put it right and take care of our customers.

Feel free to send me a direct message. Regardless - enjoy your trip.

If you would like to verify that I do work for Sixt rent-a-car, please feel free to e-mail customer-service-uk@sixt.com

P.S I have sent this in a private message also so you are notified of my reply.

Tom - Sixt Customer Service Team

Legan, Longford...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sixt car rental company

we just back from Croatia. rented a car from Sixt online Opel corsa (got terrible 1.2l Chevrolet) for 126.43€, I had to pay 22.29€ straight away and 104.14€ on arrival. they took 36.52€ from my account and then charged 125€ on arrival!!! so 126.43€ turned into 162€ + 49€ insurance+59.38€ Vat. we returned car with half tank but were charged for nearly full tank + 25€ fuel charge???!!! so I ended with nearly 335€. My friends already gave me 100€...it means that I'll have to pay 235€ by myself :(

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Chesterfield...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sixt car rental company

Hi Reda G,

If you would like, I could take a look into this for you. Feel free to send me a private message with your rental details.

As stated above, if you would like to verify that I do work for Sixt rent-a-car, please feel free to e-mail customer-service-uk@sixt.com

I have sent this in a private message also so you are notified of my reply.

Tom - Sixt Customer Service Team

Jersey City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sixt car rental company

My wife and I rented a car in Milan, Italy. A few days into a trip I noticed a miniscule rub mark the size of a quarter on the side mirror. Seriously, this couldn't even be called a scratch! I didn't give it much thought.

Long story short, I get an email from Sixt about 2 weeks after my return. The email stated that they had found "damage" and contained a picture. They charged me €100 ($140)!

I garantee you that "damaged" would have disappeared with a car wash!

Last time I rent from Sixt. I had used them in the States, that's why I felt confident about using them in Italy. Its Too bad that a company sees the need to do this :(

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sixt car rental company

Rented a car from Sixt for six hours in Barcelona. Drove it nonstop on regular highways to Girona, parked in a grass parking area near a hospital. Drove back to BCN nonstop except for gas. Did not have a Sixt person take me to the car or give me one of those damage diagrams when I picked it up, but when I returned it was found to have two scratches on one of its hubcaps !?. Those usually happen when you park too close to a curb, not the case here - but scratches on hubcaps? C'mon. Rep. created a damage report, but told me not to sign it if I didn't agree. Since then, back in the US emails asking me to explain the damage so they can bill me for it and a 3 page document actually sent from Spain about "Aluminum rim front passenger side scratch > 10cm deep down to primer.' Document asks for copies of police reports, violations received, etc. etc. Emails back to Sixt go unanswered. I'll have to be vigilant with CC company to be sure they don't try to charge me for it for quite awhile. Avoid this company.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Girona
Girona
Province of Girona, Spain
Barcelona-El Prat Airport
Barcelona-El Prat Airport
El Prat de Llobregat, Spain
Spain
Spain