We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Got a ticket from AVIS, but were never near ZTL!

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Got a ticket from AVIS, but were never near ZTL!

We went to Italy with a friend in April, and half a year later, we got a ticket from AVIS, saying we violated ZTL in Firenze. However, there is no way we were ever near the Firenze city center!

In late April, we rented a car from AVIS at Torino, then drove all the way through Toscana, Siena, to Firenze.

From Siena, we went directly to the Firenze airport to return the car, and then hired a taxi at the airport to drop us off at the city center hotel. (When we made travel plans, we decided to return the car at the airport exactly to avoid driving in the city.)

Is there any ZTL on the way from Siena to the Firenze airport that we might not be aware of? Shouldn't AVIS or the Firenze police provide evidence (a photo or something) to show when and where we violated ZTL? Is this possibly a scam? Could they have just sent ticket to all car renters? Anyone has similar experience? (I'm really pissed!)

Thanks for sharing!

Edited: 13 October 2013, 12:09
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Got a ticket from AVIS, but were never near ZTL!

It isn't a scam, but there should be some evidence. Could you have driven in a bus lane, or entered the ZTL in Siena? Avis will have made an administrative charge to pass on your contact details to the authorities, the actual ticket with a link so you can see the photograph should come through to your home address eventually and then you will know what transgression you made.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,809 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Got a ticket from AVIS, but were never near ZTL!

There are lots of reasons for getting a ticket and it's not a scam. Wait until the actual ticket comes and it will list the infraction and have a link to the photo and other information. At that point, if it wasn't you or your car, you can dispute it. If it was your car you'll be responsible for the fines.

Donna

Turin
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Got a ticket from AVIS, but were never near ZTL!

Did AVIS clearly write about a ZTL in Florence? I'm asking because there is a ZTL here in Turin, too. Non residents cars are banned from city center between 7:30 AM and 10:30 AM, there are also some streets reserved to buses and trams 24/7.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,616 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Got a ticket from AVIS, but were never near ZTL!

Is it a standard letter with check boxes for the information concerned? If so they could have checked the wrong box - but in any, case, this isn't the "ticket", merely the fee from Avis for having to deal with the information request, which wouldn't vary whether the offence was entering a ZTL or e.g. being in a bus lane. The administrative document detailing the offence and the fine will (eventually) come from the police.

Boston...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Got a ticket from AVIS, but were never near ZTL!

Thanks for all your responses. My friend scanned the ticket for us to review. He was the one renting the car and operating the vehicle while we were in Italy.

It's indeed like everyone here said - it's an invoice of AVIS's administrative fee because they received a request from the police. The form does not have boxes to check; every information is printed.

It specified that the Firenze Polizia Municipale made the request because of Restricted Traffic Zone violation. It also listed the license plate number of our rental car. (I checked with the pictures we took during the trip and it matches.)

I think the only time we might possibly have done anything wrong was when we tried to find the Firenze airport. It was late at night and we circled around a little bit trying to find the right way. (Simply put, we were a bit lost near the airport area.) I don't know if there is any ZTL there? Does "Restricted Traffic Zone" violation include driving in the wrong lane (eg. bus line, like you guys suggested)?

If the invoice specified Firenze police, then the violation has to happen in Firenze, not Torino or Siena, correct?

We were only driving in Firenze probably no more than half an hour and here we are. We were quite upset about it because we were very careful with traffic signs and everything when we drove in Italy. The administrative cost alone is 42.35 euro....How much are we expected to pay for the actual ticket? This is for us not a small amount of money....

Thanks!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Got a ticket from AVIS, but were never near ZTL!

The airport is nowhere near the ZTL, so that shouldn't be it and a bus lane violation should be described differently. I think you are just going to have to wait for the actual ticket to arrive and then you will know exactly what the violation is for. I suppose it is possible that avis have had a request, and assumed it was for a ZTL violation, but they don't actually know themselves yet. Make sure you double check the date when the ticket arrives and that it wasn't the people who had the car a week/month before or after you, I'm sure that occasionally the people at Avis do make a mistake like that. I'm afraid the fines are big usually around 100 euros.

7. Re: Got a ticket from AVIS, but were never near ZTL!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 06:21