We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to FCO - rides, vans, etc?

Maine
Level Contributor
112 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Florence to FCO - rides, vans, etc?

Are there any ride services that could pick me up in Florence and drive me to FCO? It will be late December - leaving early am for an 11:30 flight to Boston, with 2 large bags to check. Hard to manage trains and transfers with lots of stuff, due to living there for several months. An Alitalia flight gets me to FCO by 9:15, but i worry about late arrivals, etc.

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,697 reviews
from US$112.10*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,311 reviews
from US$122.00*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
296 reviews
from US$99.60*
Special Offer
Florence Super Saver: Best of...
1,502 reviews
from US$110.80*
US$117.00
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,916 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence to FCO - rides, vans, etc?

do your self a favor and spend your last night in Rome -- perhaps at the airport HIlton if you can afford it.

You need to be at check in 3 hours in advance -- that 8:30 am for a trip to the US -- no way you can do that without major headache the morning of the flight.

This is a high stakes mistake if you make one.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence to FCO - rides, vans, etc?

Since you have lived there for several months can you also ask some locals about car and driver service? It may be very expensive if one has to drive you all the way to FCO and drive back empty they will charge you for a round trip cost. Otherwise get to Rome a day earlier and consider what reply no. 1 recommended.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,280 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence to FCO - rides, vans, etc?

Probably would cost around 450-500 euros; definitely a bad idea to do this given how many hours it takes to drive to FCO from Florence (what would happen if there is bad traffic, accident on autostrada?) and the need to be there 3 hours pre-departure time.

The fast train from Florence takes only 1.5 hours to Rome; you could then take an official taxi for 48 euros to FCO from the train station.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence to FCO - rides, vans, etc?

Get to Rome the day before and stay in an airport hotel......WAY less stress.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,182 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence to FCO - rides, vans, etc?

Maybe you can rent a car and drive there yourself?

Maine
Level Contributor
112 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence to FCO - rides, vans, etc?

Hi Jane et al:

I'm a college student and can't really afford the hotel. I may fly from Florence to Rome on Alitalia arriving at 9:15. Then, I will be getting on an Aer Lingus flight to Boston from FCO at 11:30. Do you know if

a) I can check my luggage in Florence, all the way through to Boston - using 2 airlines?

b) I'll have enough time connecting at FCO, with or without re-checking luggage? Thanks again.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,280 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence to FCO - rides, vans, etc?

There is no way someone can predict - what if you are delayed by even 20 minutes due to weather, airport issues, etc? I'd never take a risk like this with such a tiny window of time for transfer.

If you are not booked on just one airline ticket, your bags will not be check through and you will need to collect your bags at FCO and go through the process again - something that is taking a great deal of time these days; there is no exaggeration about needing to be there 3 hours before a flight to the states - sometimes, it will take less but the last few times, even getting there 3 hours before my flight, I made it to the gate as the flight was already boarding.

If you miss this flight - can you afford to pay for a one way ticket home? I'd suggest finding a hostel at the very least in Rome.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,916 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence to FCO - rides, vans, etc?

if you can't afford the airport hotel, you really can't afford to buy a one way walk up ticket home -- we are talking over $1000 here. You need to get to Rome the day before and stay somewhere near Termini and take the train to FCO to get there by 8:30.

driving this distance during rush hour is insane -- it is not at all unheard of for there to be enormous traffic jams -- you could be sitting in a 'parking lot' on the autostrada while your check in closes.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Florence to FCO - rides, vans, etc?

If you are flying Aer Lingus via Dublin you may be able to reduce your check-in time slightly (I don't think Aer Lingus flies direct Rome to Boston, does it?). In any event you'll be hitting Rome in the rush hour, in mid-winter, near or during the Christmas holidays. I agree with the others, get to Rome the day before.

Maine
Level Contributor
112 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence to FCO - rides, vans, etc?

Thanks everyone - will absolutely fly direct to Rome the day before and stay over. I Hope Alitalia does not lose my bags from Florence to Rome. Have not had great luck with them before.