We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If it's Tuesday, this must be the Uffizi.

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
311 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
If it's Tuesday, this must be the Uffizi.

We have five full days in Florence and I want to see everything. I actually have a schedule that includes almost everything on my list -- but doesn't leave much time for sitting in cafes and just being in Florence. So which of the dozen biggies would you cross off your list? In addition to Florence itself we will have a one day Chianti wine tour and nine more nights in Italy split between Siena, Verona and Venice. (Have visited Rome last year.) This will be a cities-by-train-and-bus trip because of the time of year. We like art, architecture, food and wine, history and savoring the atmosphere of a foreign place. I call it the "Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" experience.

Appreciate any advice.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If it's Tuesday, this must be the Uffizi.

I don't know what's on your list, but why not just see how you feel on the day?! You can still do the sitting in cafés (or outside them) in other cities. In fact it would be a crime not to in the Piazza del Campo in Siena...

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
311 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If it's Tuesday, this must be the Uffizi.

My list is: Academia, Uffizi, Palazzo Vecchio (with secret passage tour) Duomo, Baptisty and Duomo Museum, Santa Croce, the Bargello, San Marco, Medici Chapels, Pitti Palace, Brancacci Chapel, Museo Galileo, Santa Marial Novella, San Miniato for Vespers and an opera at St. Marks Church.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If it's Tuesday, this must be the Uffizi.

I'd drop the Pitti Palace and the Medici Chapels which I think are unusually hideous. Pitti Palace is a great art museum but you can't do everything with only 4 days for Florence. I might also drop Galileo -- it is cool to see some of the real old models and such, but way down the list.

The things I would definitely keep are the Brancacci Chapel, Academia, Uffizi and Bargelo -- SMN and Santa Croce, both great but perhaps drop one if pressed -- I'd climb the Duomo but not bother with the interior otherwise. I am assuming the Chianti tour is one of your Florence days.

I would probably not to the Chianti tour -- but it sounds like you have booked that. Vineyards are pretty much alike the world over, but there is only one Brancacci Chapel (IMHO the best thing in Florence)

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,280 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If it's Tuesday, this must be the Uffizi.

I would place the Medici Chapels and the Museo Galileo at the bottom of the list (although the Medici Chapels do not take very long to see) ready to be left off if time is pressing. Bear in mind that most of the Museo dell'Opera is largely closed at the moment so again will not take long to see. I do think the interior of the Duomo is worth seeing and the dome is also worth climbing, but unlike the queue for the Duomo, the line can be slow moving so it is best to climb early or late in the day. Parts of the Pitti Palace are definitely worth seeing, but it is quite time-consuming as it is large and there are a number of parts to see. For the Uffizi, if time is pressing, it is a good idea to do a bit of research before you go and target the paintings you are really interested in.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If it's Tuesday, this must be the Uffizi.

I wasn't much impressed with the Galileo Science museum,but loved Uffizi and the climb to the top.of the dome. Remember to take a walk up to Piazza Michelangelo for some fabulous views !

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,499 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If it's Tuesday, this must be the Uffizi.

Great points by Peggy. With 5 full days in Florence you will have plenty of time to see the highlights, which def includes the Pitti palace IMO. To me the Pitti and teh garden is more of "we are not in kansas" moment than the Uffizi". San Miniato is an absolute must. The Medici Chapels can be a skip I suppose even if its so short

For food, I would head to Mercato Centrale at least a couple of times. Once for Nerbone, and once for just strolling around and trying various things. More eat ideas here... http://wp.me/p2zSmJ-M8

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
311 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If it's Tuesday, this must be the Uffizi.

It sounds like the Medici Chapel can go on the optional list. I have been thinking that the Pitti Palace would take a lot of time but I'm torn. I'm interested in seeing the Royal apartments, the museo degli aregenti, the costumes and the carriages. We could skip the paintings but those other things would be both interesting and different. Thanks for the link, Ziggy.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: If it's Tuesday, this must be the Uffizi.

<<We could skip the paintings >> Sacrilege!! What about the Raphaels?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If it's Tuesday, this must be the Uffizi.

Always do the things YOU really want to do even if others put it down the list. If you really have 5 full days i.e. 6 night and the Chianti trip is extra to that, then you have plenty of time to fit in the Pitti.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If it's Tuesday, this must be the Uffizi.

I enjoy the mix of art at the Pitti possibly more than anything else in Florence. You must see the Raphaels, as Appia rightly recommends, but the loveliest of the lot (IMO) - la Velata - is so often on tour or out on loan. The royal apartments are interesting, the views of the gardens from the other side of the wing really beautiful and there's not just furniture, silver and costumes but modern art too, and that can make a really refreshing change. The other great thing about these galleries is that they are never as busy as anywhere else in the city, even in August.