We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dyslexic trying to learn Italian

Florence, Italy
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dyslexic trying to learn Italian

I think you will have to have experience of dyslexia to understand this request.

I am presently living in Florence,Italy. I am Dyslexic and trying to learn Italian. I have had two tutors up to now, but with little success. I am finding the language so very hard to learn and I am now staring to lose my confidence and my enthusiasm. I want to know if anyone knows of a tutor in Florence who offers one to one to people who are dyslexic.I do hope so as I want to enjoy Italy so much, but without the language, well, I will just be held back which is just what I don't want to happen. I have spent hours searching the internet and I have put request out, but to no avail. Looking forward to a reply. Many thanks Pat

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dyslexic trying to learn Italian

Pat, have you tried the book and CD method where you listen and repeat continually the same thing while looking at a picture with the words written below for example the figure of a woman with "Io sono una donna" (I am a woman) and a man "Io sono un Uomo" (I am a man) you have the image and the words written in Italian so it sticks in your mind i learnt German in this way.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dyslexic trying to learn Italian

Also it's important to try to talk when you go into a shop or restaurant, people know you're not Italian but appreciate you trying and it will get easier as you keep repeting the same things.

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dyslexic trying to learn Italian

You need to find ways that work for you. Many ways. Try reading Italian out loud to yourself. Listen to the radio a lot. Write out verb declensions by hand. Find an older teen who wants to improve their English and have a two language conversation. Each language learner has big weaknesses and you have to learn to make your way with the skills you have. After 30 years, I cannot hold a decent conversation, but I can read very well and understand others decently. Keep striving and you'll find some level of satisfaction.

Edited: 01 December 2013, 13:19
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dyslexic trying to learn Italian

Have you tried the Michel Thomas method? I think it is very good for giving you confidence with grammar without any writing at all.

5. Re: Dyslexic trying to learn Italian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 06:18