We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or rental car when travel from Rome, Florence, Pisa,..

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Train or rental car when travel from Rome, Florence, Pisa,..

Greetings,

We (3 teens and Mom) are traveling to Rome in Dec. 21,2013 and we prefer to travel by train but so far the train or train/rail pass seemed to cost a lot of money. We are now considering renting a car when we arrive in Rome. I did like to get some suggestions.

Our travel plan is to start from Rome, Venice, Florence, Pisa, Orvieto and back to Rome. We are not driving in the city of Rome and Venice. I assumed that we will be finding hotels that has free parking outside of Rome and Venice and just take train/bus into the city of Rome and Venice.

Thank you

Edited: 09 December 2013, 16:35
Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or rental car when travel from Rome, Florence, Pisa,..

Do you know that a car is useless in Rome, Florence, Pisa and Venice? Go to www.trenitalia.com and buy your train tickets as soon as you can.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or rental car when travel from Rome, Florence, Pisa,..

What about tolls and gas prices? It should be lot more in Italy that we have to consider when renting a car.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or rental car when travel from Rome, Florence, Pisa,..

I have been reading some of the travel site and I am getting confused with the fare that www.trenitalia.com is offering, i.e. FAMILY OFFER (is this only good when travel with young children under 2), then this would fit our travel profile at all. We will have to buy rail pass (for 6 days in 1 month), if I selected the right options, which would be 3 youth and an adult, it gave me $276.00 per person. There isn't any price differences between youth and adult? Is this correct?

I appreciated your help, Tabata_1973!!

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or rental car when travel from Rome, Florence, Pisa,..

Ok, train or rail passes don't exist in Italy so you have to buy point to point tickets.

Train is cheaper and faster than car.

You cannot, again, cannot drive in Rome and Florence, only car with a special permit can enter these towns historical city centers and Venice is made of tiny islands, you must start doing your homeworks now and research you best train tickets for the dates you're scheduled to travel.

Go to www.trenitalia.com choose English and then all the trains, choose you date and time of travel.

Please note that we use day-month-year calendar and 24hours timing.

Or you can look for trenitalia competitor that is italotreno.

Turin
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or rental car when travel from Rome, Florence, Pisa,..

Useless in Venice, forbidden in central Florence and an expensive headache in Rome.

If you want to get an idea about the costs of travelling by car go on viamichelin.com and select "international English".

Then select EUR from the drop down menu on the left, leave "avoid tolls" unchecked and put 1.8 where it says "Fuel cost per litre".

Then add rental and parking costs. If the sum is still cheaper than the train... well I may be wrong, but I think it means that you checked train costs on the wrong web site! Use Italiarail.com, Trenitalia.it (English version!) or Italotreno.it

Turin
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or rental car when travel from Rome, Florence, Pisa,..

PS: 2 years old kids wouldn't pay neither on Trenitalia nor on Italo trains.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train or rental car when travel from Rome, Florence, Pisa,..

Thank you so very much for your input on this! Great! I will do so.

Have a good holiday!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train or rental car when travel from Rome, Florence, Pisa,..

thank you so much for your information.

Have a nice holiday!

9. Re: Train or rental car when travel from Rome, Florence, Pisa,..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 06:19