We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help critique our itinerary

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Please help critique our itinerary

My wife, 21 year old daughter, and I plan to spend a few days in Valencia, Spain first relaxing and then fly to Italy. (Our daughter studied abroad in Valencia last summer.) I chose this forum since the majority of our travels will be in and around Florence. We have all been to Italy before including Rome, Naples, Pompeii, etc. And we've explored lots of the rest of southern Europe, but never the following areas. Please help me pick this apart:

1. Valencia

2. Valencia

3. Valencia

4. Fly to Pisa, train to Cinque Terre

5. Cinque Terre

6. Morning train to Florence

7. Florence

8. Day trip to Siena

9. Morning train Florence to Venice

10. Venice

11. Fly home open jaw from Venice

Is this a logical plan? Is it too many hotels? Thanks!!!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help critique our itinerary

Not enough time for Florence or Venice! What time of year are you going? With so little time I would certainly drop Cinque Terre and leave Siena as an optional extra if you feel you have time.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,637 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help critique our itinerary

Agree, I would reduce your Italy itinerary to Florence and Venice.

Flights Valencia to Pisa www.ryanair.com

Flying Ryanair check in online and be aware of luggage restrictions.

Pisa airport to Florence bus www.terravision.eu or train www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times, ensure you validate your regional train ticket before travel.

Intercity Trenitalia train Florence to Venice.

Venice airport bus www.atvo.it

Excursions, from Florence to Siena bus www.busfox.com.timetable From Venice Trenitalia train to Verona

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Tuscany and Veneto www.italia.it/en/home.html

www.discovertuscany.com

www.venice-tourism.com www.timeout.com/venice

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help critique our itinerary

Thanks for the thoughts. This trip is not until first week in Sept during shoulder season. I've looked at the trip starting in Venice and working backwards but its hard to get out of Valencia without overnight in Madrid with yet another hotel. Have checked Ryan Air and other European discount airlines. Pretty restrictive. Thought about a day trip to Cinque Terre from Florence but that looks like a very rushed long day. We could skip Siena but Cinque Terre has to be part of the trip. Two to three night per hotel/city doesn't bother us. Is the trip crazy or just a bit aggressive?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,101 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help critique our itinerary

"Have checked Ryan Air and other European discount airlines. ". Have you checked Vueling? They fly from Barcelona to Pisa.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help critique our itinerary

RyanAir does have decent flight from Valencia to Pisa. Haven't looked at adding in Barcelona (we've been there). I guess the biggest issue is how to do Cinque Terre, Florence and Venice in 9 days without backtracking and living on trains, planes, and busses. We will definitely look at Vueling. Thanks,

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help critique our itinerary

Thanks for all the great links Nuriooprta!

Akron, Ohio
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help critique our itinerary

Hi CaseyMorgan :)

I'm going to be staying in Rome for 2 months June- August... I would love to see all of Italy. Can you share any ideas for any Itinerary?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help critique our itinerary

It is of course doable, but for me too much precious vacation time spent travelling between destinations and too tiring. Nevertheless, if you are happy with that and accept that the price you will pay is just to just get a taste of these places and leave a lot unseen, then it can be done.

9. Re: Please help critique our itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 11:57
Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help critique our itinerary

Mark,

We've been to Rome twice. Love it!