We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car logistics for a one-night stay in Florence

Woodinville...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car logistics for a one-night stay in Florence

I am trying to figure out the best way to handle my rental car. We are spending six nights in Tuscany in September. Five of those will be in a place near Siena so we can explore. The last night will be in Florence, with the plan to get to Florence quite early the day we check in so we can see at least some of the city before flying out from the airport the day after.

I am trying to figure out what to do with the rental car. A few things are on my mind...

. I have a slight preference to drive from our Siena location to Florence so we can explore at our own pace.

. I am aware of the ZTL and the implications with respect to cars and parking

. I would prefer to keep the car overnight so we can get us (and our luggage) to the airport easily the day after.

Options seem to include:

. Keeping the car for the drive, return it (probably to a place near the airport). That probably has the disadvantage that we'd be dragging our luggage around after dropping off the car.

. Go through the whole deal with dropping off the luggage at the hotel and then trying to find some parking (the chances are the hotel we choose will be in the ZTL since we want to maximize our time in the city, given the shortness of our stay).

. Just drop off the car in Siena, get a train to Florence, get to the hotel and then get a cab to the airport the day after (lots of dragging luggage around and we miss out on the nice drive to Florence).

Anyway, I'd appreciate thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Mark

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car logistics for a one-night stay in Florence

The historic part of Florence is fairly compact and small. If you can find a hotel outside the ZTL, but close to the Ponte Vecchio, you will solve your problem. I agree, keep the car for the airport trip.

Woodinville...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car logistics for a one-night stay in Florence

Thank you. I am curious to know if there's an easy way to identify the ZTL, as compared to the location of hotels. I don't really have a good sense of the size of Florence the interesting parts of Florence (researching furiously :)) but perhaps something just outside the ZTL but walkable to the historic / interesting locations would be a good balance.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car logistics for a one-night stay in Florence

Do you mean...to identify on the ground in the car? or in advance on the net? Several posters have posted the ZTL map of Florence on TA. On the ground, the entrance to ZTL's are shown on a small white sign with a red ring on it. Usually, there will be other information detailing the days or hours of the limited traffic. Some are 24/7, others are just at certain times.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car logistics for a one-night stay in Florence

florence-on-line.com/maps-of-florence/floren…

This looks pretty good to me.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car logistics for a one-night stay in Florence

I have examined the map now. I suggest something near the bottom of the map. Porta Romana is quite a nice area. But as you can see, there are several places outside the ZTL very close to the river.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 19:42
MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car logistics for a one-night stay in Florence

having travelled to and from the airport with a suitcase and hand luggage I have to say it was very straightforward. Having said that I stayed near the station.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car logistics for a one-night stay in Florence

It would seem to me to turn in the car one night early, make it into the city, stay the night, then have to go back to the airport to fly out with luggage, is too much work and time wasting.

8. Re: Car logistics for a one-night stay in Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:18