We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of hours in Florence

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
661 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of hours in Florence

Hi,

We will be on a small town tour of Tuscany/Umbria in September and will only have one day in Florence. The day will begin with a guided walking tour and then we'll have several hours and lunch on our own.

Obviously we can't even begin to see this glorious city but I'm wondering what special treats you might suggest. I probably will pass up museums as I don't want to run through them so I'm thinking more of embracing the city emotionally.

Ideas? It's snowy here where I am; I'd love to get some Tuscan warmth.

nancyM

Artviva: The Original & Best Tours Italy
Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Florence Custom Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Florence Pass Tour Operator Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours
Taste Florence
Food Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of hours in Florence

Hi There,

If you have some time to spare, go to the lookout to have a great view of the city, its very pretty and relaxing up there. The lookout is Piazzale Michelangelo, here's a link

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187895-…

takes a while to walk up there but worth it :)

Try some Focaccia and Suppli when your there, absolutely delicious!

Enjoy!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
661 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of hours in Florence

Thanks. Sounds like it might be good to get a lift up and then stroll back down. Anywhere for lunch?

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
11,208 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of hours in Florence

hi: i completely understand about wanting to get an 'emotional feel' for a place...i enjoyed the Oltrano district (artist workshops, little stores) and Santo Spirito plaza, which has restaurants/eateries and the BEST PIZZA ever at Gusta Pizza, Via Maggio 46r--don't confuse with another pizza place close by....there is also Gustapanino on the plaza for sandwiches, etc. If you are coming back from Piazzale Michelangelo, the Oltrano district is right near the Boboli Gardens and on that side of the Arno..so no crossing a bridge back into the center.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
661 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of hours in Florence

That sounds perfect. Thanks so much.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of hours in Florence

There should be plenty of places to grab a bite to eat, I wouldn't worry :)

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,514 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of hours in Florence

You can get a bus to Piazzale Michelangelo. There is no lift! With your limited time, a bus will be much better than walking.

You will probably get some ideas about what to see when you do your tour. Otherwise, just wander around the centre and find somewhere toeat.

7. Re: A couple of hours in Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 13:56
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,239 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple of hours in Florence

when she said 'get a lift' she clearly meant with a bus or cab

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
661 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple of hours in Florence

Ah language! Yup, I did not mean an elevator.

Thank you:)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,883 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple of hours in Florence

Mench, a lot would depend on what the walking tour covers, where the tour ends, and where you'll have to meet the bus for the rest of the trip. You don't want to be late for that.

-- Steve