We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I Drive from Florence to Rome or Pisa to Rome?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Should I Drive from Florence to Rome or Pisa to Rome?

I am planning to stay in Florence in the summer for 4 nights then head over to Rome by rental car. On my third day in in Florence, im planning to take a day trip to pisa then come back to Florence the same day (last night before heading off to Rome). My question is, on my third day, should I rent a hotel room in Pisa for a night and drive from Pisa to Rome or should I do as I originally planned and go from Florence to Rome?

Which will give me the best direct driving route to Rome?

(By the way I know many will advise me to take trains but I will be going with family and we have decided to rent a car since we will be going to Milan, Verona, and Venice before Florence, and need the car to visit friends outside of these cities. I just want to know what the best route to Rome is.) Thanks :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I Drive from Florence to Rome or Pisa to Rome?

Use the route planner for your journey www.viamichelin.com

Car rental www.auto-europe.com

You will require an International driving permit for Italy

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

Avoid driving in Florence and Rome

You can visit Pisa from Florence by train www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train time

www.aboutpisa.info www.italia.it/en/home.html

2. Re: Should I Drive from Florence to Rome or Pisa to Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 16:10
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I Drive from Florence to Rome or Pisa to Rome?

The most direct route to Rome is from Florence. I would just take the day trip from Florence by train to Pisa. Otherwise you need pack and unpack another time, organise overnight parking outside Pisa's ZTL, transport your luggage between car park and hotel etc. It all seems like a lot of hassle for one night.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I Drive from Florence to Rome or Pisa to Rome?

Parking info www.parkopedia.com/embed-parking-maps

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I Drive from Florence to Rome or Pisa to Rome?

Very True thank you for your insight peggypatch. It helped me decide to stay in Florence and just do a day trip to Pisa. Thanks again!!!

Edited: 11 February 2014, 02:01
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I Drive from Florence to Rome or Pisa to Rome?

Thanks for all those links Nurioopta, super helpful!

Edited: 11 February 2014, 02:01
7. Re: Should I Drive from Florence to Rome or Pisa to Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:20