We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Milan to Florence

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
From Milan to Florence

Hi

Between Milan and Florence, shall I take train or bus? Concerning cost, time and scenery along the journey.....

If I take trian, where and how to buy cheaper tickets? Will it be cheaper if I buy tickets online in advance?

Thank you.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,974 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Milan to Florence

I didn't think there were any buses from Milan to Florence, but it turns out there are, taking about 5 1/2 hrs e.g. dep. 07:15 (Lampugnana bus station) arr. 12:45 (SITA bus station, Via S. Caterina di Siena) or dep. 14:00 (Milan-Rogoredo station) arr. 17:25 (Sena bus stop exit A1 Impruneta) (plus other times, with a change in Bologna): cost €28 whenever you buy the ticket, see sena.it/Autobus/…49-1.html

I can't see how the road journey could be any more or less scenic than the train journey, which takes 1h40 by the fastest trains, see www.trenitalia.com for prices for your dates, which you don't mention. It is cheaper to buy Freccia tickets online in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Milan to Florence

A bus takes 5 hours, mostly along very boring motorway. See http://www.eurolines.com/en/

A fast train takes 1h40, with prices starting at €19 if bought well ahead of time, up to €50walk-up.

For the best prices on the fast trains, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Trenitalia tickets usually go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names for towns, or from the competitor on major routes http://www.italotreno.it/EN . There are notes about online booking at www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ItalyTrain.htm

There is a timetable change on 15 June, and train times after that date will not be available until probably late April or May.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Milan to Florence

Thank you to all

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
10,146 posts
1,267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Milan to Florence

bus? no way

u can easily go by train

u can also find very good rate if u buy them a few days ago

be sure once u buy them to leave at these dates and times cos u cannot change if they were discounted

i can suggest u: freccia rossa

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Milan to Florence

Hi

I have bought the train ticket through www.trenitalia.com , do I need to go to somewhere to pick up the tickets before getting on train? Or I just need to print out and show them the confirmation email ? Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Milan to Florence

Your confirmation e-mail will have your booking reference number (PNR), which is your authority to travel. There are no tickets.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
10,146 posts
1,267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Milan to Florence

dont worry

just print them and make sure that the code is visible and u ll have no problem

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Milan to Florence

Thank you.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
10,146 posts
1,267 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Milan to Florence

any time my friend

10. Re: From Milan to Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 06:17