We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Val d'Orcia day trip/car tour

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
302 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Val d'Orcia day trip/car tour

Hi, I have arranged for a private car tour for 9 hours. We will be picked up at our hotel in Florence at 9am and our day will end when we're dropped off in Siena. We are staying 2 nights in Siena.

So, this car tour will be to small towns and wineries in the Val d'Orcia region. I basically can decide what towns and wineries to see. It seems that Pienza, Montalcino and Montepulciano are highly recommended. Can someone help me with ideas for this 9 hour day trip? I presume we'll stop for lunch but I'm not sure where to stop. Not sure how long to allocate to each town, or if these towns are really the best to see. My mom and sister would have trouble with steep steps so that's a consideration too. My mom is mostly interested in seeing the picturesque countryside. The idea of wine and possibly lunch while overlooking a great view of Tuscany sounds perfect.

Thanks for any advice!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
302 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Val d'Orcia day trip/car tour

I should also say that this tour will be on a Monday. I know a lot of museums are closed on Mondays. But what about wineries?

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,530 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Val d'Orcia day trip/car tour

Montepulciano has some very steep, slippery sections.

Chicago
Level Contributor
302 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Val d'Orcia day trip/car tour

Thanks. I did see that there is a steep staircase in Montepulciano. Do you know if we can drive to an area in the city to avoid this? If not, we may have to skip this city.

Maybe Pienza, Montechino and...? San Gimignano is in the other direction, but maybe if we go to Greve and San G then onto Pienza and/or Montechino.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Val d'Orcia day trip/car tour

Yes, Montepulciano has some streets that are very steep for walking. A lot of Montalcino is relatively flat as is Pienza. The majority of hill towns don't allow traffic except for locals and deliveries. You have to park outside the walls and walk in.

Chicago
Level Contributor
302 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Val d'Orcia day trip/car tour

I did see that the town is closed off to car traffic, but I have read elsewhere that if car tour operators have a pass they can drive into the cities. There's also mention of a small orange bus after you arrive outside the city walls. So maybe there are options to get into Montepulciano without having to climb the staircase?

Thanks again for all advice!

6. Re: Val d'Orcia day trip/car tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:20