We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area /neighbourhood to stay in Florence?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best area /neighbourhood to stay in Florence?

Hi all,

I will be travelling solo to Florence at the beginning of June and want to know which part/neighbourhood of Florence is the best to stay in, that will allow me to walk to the main attractions very easily on foot and that is also safe for a solo female traveller during the day and night?

Is the duomo area the best to stay in?

I have found a few apartments on airbnb that seem to be close to a lot of places but not sure if these are good in terms of areas and convenience. I will most likely be coming to Florence by train to SMN and would like to stay somewhere where public transport is close to make it easy to get around.

http://airbnb.com/rooms/890248

http://airbnb.com/rooms/701647

http://airbnb.com/rooms/843502

Can anyone help with the best area to stay for my visit?

Thanks in advance :)

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,356 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area /neighbourhood to stay in Florence?

Florence is very safe. Those are all very central and close to the train station. I would choose the one with the best reviews.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area /neighbourhood to stay in Florence?

to walk from the station to the Duomo is probably 10-15 minutes if that gives you an idea that the area is small so staying anywhere between the two is convenient

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area /neighbourhood to stay in Florence?

Florence is safe for a solo female traveller I've been going there alone - on and off - since 1970, so I've experienced different stages of age, fitness etc.and as long as you take normal precautions you will be absolutely fine.

Central Florence is small and walkable, so it is not too important where you stay, one thing I will say is that each of the locations might be a bit noisy, but some people don't mind that.

I agree with peggypatch, reading the reviews might help you decide.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area /neighbourhood to stay in Florence?

Florence is a small place. You hardly need public transport to get around unless your lodging is in the boonies.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
202 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area /neighbourhood to stay in Florence?

Any thoughts about the Santa Croce or Riftedi areas?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,356 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area /neighbourhood to stay in Florence?

I think Rifredi is too far from the sights. Santa Croce is much more central, read reviews carefully though as some parts can be quite noisy at night.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area /neighbourhood to stay in Florence?

We really liked staying in the oltrarno -- just on the other side of the Ponte Vecchio. Very safe, not QUITE as touristy/crowded and still a close walk to (almost) everything. Or you can hop on a bus. Love Santo Bevitore for lunch or dinner! It was just a short walk from our apartment and we went there often. But there are lots of great restaurants (and shops!) in this area.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area /neighbourhood to stay in Florence?

i recommend the Oltrano district.....great plaza at Santo Spirito, fabulous pizzas and popular cafes and close to the city center but not IN it.....that's my vote.

9. Re: Best area /neighbourhood to stay in Florence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 17:52
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area /neighbourhood to stay in Florence?

Awesome! I have actually been looking at that area near Santo Spirito and the Piaza di pitti. Not far from Ponte Vecchio and the plaza as well as the other side in the old town of the duomo.