We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Car Rental information in Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Car Rental information in Florence

We are travelling to Florence from Rome by train in August and will be looking at renting a car in Florence so that we can tour the Tuscany area from there. We will need to return the vehicle to Florence. Anyone with recommendations on where to rent from and how best to avoid the ZTL areas would be greatly appreciated! (keeping in mind that we'll have to return to Florence to return the vehicle),

Thanks KC

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,931 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Car Rental information in Florence

Car rental Florence airport www.auto-europe.com

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Non EU citizens require an International driving permit for Italy

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas in Italy roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.discovertuscany.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,840 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Car Rental information in Florence

I agree with the suggestion that you use Florence airport, but there is no need to return to the same place. One-way fees within Italy are either cheap or zero.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Car Rental information in Florence

Definitely airport, but allow plenty of time signage to the car rental area is poor.

Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Car Rental information in Florence

Thanks for the info...Can anyone recommend a good reputable rental car agency. Any comments on car rental agencies that we should AVOID.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,840 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Car Rental information in Florence

AutoEurope is a reputable agency that arranges cheap rentals with the major companies: www.autoeurope.com

Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Car Rental information in Florence

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Belmont, California
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Car Rental information in Florence

Yours is a timely post. I just asked my hotel the same question and they told me to rent a car out on Via del Gelsomino, which is outside the city center. I found Europcar which offered better prices than the Avis rental I have since cancelled - saved me $150!!! It is about a 10 min. taxi ride into the city and well worth avoiding the hassle.

Like you we are arriving into the Firenze station, will taxi to the car rental and then drive out to Tuscany for a week.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Car Rental information in Florence

Autoeurope are a good broker, but they also list the bad rental companies. Go through them, but only consider hertz, avis or europcar

9. Re: Looking for Car Rental information in Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 06:23