We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spending money

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thornton Cleveleys...
7 posts
Save Topic
spending money

I have booked a suprise 3 night stay in florence for end of October, beginning of November for my hubby and I 10 year wedding anniversary. I have never been to Italy before but have been warned it will be quite expensive. I have been told to expect an evening meal and 1 drink each for hubby and I to cost approx £100 per night.

I plan on seeing an opera (probably at St.Marks) and I know we will be visiting a number of the museums/attractions.

Realistically, how much money should I be looking at taking? I don't plan on living the life of luxury, but I don't want to confine myself to a lower budget and run out of money whilst there.

Any help is appreciated - thank you

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,210 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spending money

That estimate is way too high, IMO. If you are just having a glass of wine each, you can get a really nice meal for two for 60-70 euros. For lunch you can just enjoy a snack and a drink for less than ten euros pp.

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spending money

Florence ia expensive, compared to other italian cities. But 100 pounds are 120 euros, that's waytoo much. A nice dinner out won't cost less than 35-40 euros each, but not even more. Of course it depends on what you eat.

A drink out can go from 5 tp 10 euros it depends on the drink and the place.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spending money

as mentioned, that estimate is too high for a regular meal and a glass of wine. Budgeting will depend upon your tastes and how you like to travel and types of restaurants you want to eat in....most trattorias will be around 30 euros for a family-style meal...of course it can go higher. So eat breakfast in your hotel/b&b, have deli sandwiches/pizzas or market lunches during the day and then find local popular places for dinner that don't have English/Italian on the menu. A good guide book helps a great deal.

Thornton Cleveleys...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: spending money

Thank you to everybody for your replies. Would it work out cheaper to buy a card (to gain entry to the different museums/galleries) or pay separately? What is 'average' entrance fee, so I can work out approx costs.

My Aunt and Uncle went to Florence last year (I swear she thinks we are paupers) she keeps mentioning how expensive it is. She said I can expect to pay £8 for a 500ml bottle of water...

My Aunt also said we need to get a train from Pisa Airport to the train station. Is this correct? Is bus/coach an easier option? Travel agent quoted £357 for transfers so thought train would be cheaper option.

thank you again

Thornton Cleveleys...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: spending money

Thank you to everybody for your replies. Would it work out cheaper to buy a card (to gain entry to the different museums/galleries) or pay separately? What is 'average' entrance fee, so I can work out approx costs.

My Aunt and Uncle went to Florence last year (I swear she thinks we are paupers) she keeps mentioning how expensive it is. She said I can expect to pay £8 for a 500ml bottle of water...

My Aunt also said we need to get a train from Pisa Airport to the train station. Is this correct? Is bus/coach an easier option? Travel agent quoted £357 for transfers so thought train would be cheaper option.

thank you again

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spending money

hi: you will find answers in the FAQ's on the right side of the forum page (that experts put together). Also any good guide book will provide answers to most of your questions. These prices you are quoting are not reasonable.... if you even googled your questions, you would find answers. I don't know your travel agent but it is about 10 euros to take the train from Pisa to Florence......

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spending money

1) it's impossible to tell you an average entry fee. Check out what you want to see, go on the specific place website and check entry fees for each. Note that au contraire than rome, in Florence most churches have an entry fee.

2) 8 pounds for a small bottle of water? Without any offence, stop listening to your aunt, she's clearly giving you misleading advices. A 500 ml in every bar is around 1 euro. Of course price is higher in some places than other. In italy you pay more for sitting in bars and central scenic places may rip off tourists. So the same bottle ofwater you paid 1 euro Iin a ordinary street in Florence may really cost 8 euros if ordered sitting outside in piazza della signoria in front of Palazzo Vecchio. Travel on a budget means planning carefully avoiding tourist traps. A lot of people complain they paid 5 euros for a coffee in Venice, without telling you they had it sitting outside in a bar in piazza San Marco.

3) from pisa you can take a bus to Central station then a train to Florence or direct bus from airport to Florence. It will be around 10 euros.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spending money

last thought.....8 pounds is about 13 US dollars. do you really think a bottle of water would cost $13? So, use common sense, eat like a local and treat yourself now and then. You will have a good time.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: spending money

£8 for a bottle of water? Was it served in golden goblets? Seriously, though, you would only expect to pay that much if you were sitting in one the main piazzas such as della Republica, Signoria or Duomo. If you would like to drink in one these places - and some like Rivoire on Piazza della Signoria are very handsome indeed, it costs far less to stand at the bar and drink. In fact in most bars, you pay extra to sit down.

Menus should be displayed outside restaurants, I wouldn't take a chance to eat in a place that didn't show one.

Take the bus or train from Pisa to Florence - and have a fantastic time!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,825 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: spending money

The bus from Pisa Airport to Florence S.M. Novella train/bus station is to the right when you exit the station, it's only 6 Euro and takes a little over an hour.

Yes, the menus are displayed, with prices, in front of all the restaurants. On average, my dinners were 20+/- Euro which includes a glass of wine.

If you ask for water they'll ask you whether you want sparkling or still and sometimes whether you want a small or large bottle (2 to 5 Euro) (I travel solo so they always ask what size). I tend to eat early (5 or 6), sometimes I've found some dinners for 12-15 Euro (pasta) that includes a glass of wine. They're not gourmet meals, but totally satisfying after a long day of sightseeing/walking.

The closer to attractions/piazzas the more expensive everything gets. Last year I had a wonderful meal a few streets away from Piazza della Signoria, less than 20 Euro and included dessert.

p.s. Just smile and agree with your Aunt then go on your merry way. Have a wonderful time in bella Firenze.