We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 Nights - 5 Rome, 5 Florence and 5 Venice

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
15 Nights - 5 Rome, 5 Florence and 5 Venice

I need your opinion. I have booked 5 nights in each of the big 3 (Rome, Florence & Venice). Someone just told me that they think I should shorten up Florence and Venice and do something else in between. Should I carve 1 night off of Florence and 2 from Venice and do something else? What would everyone recommend then? Should we go over to Cinque Terre or stay at a Farmhouse. Just don't know what to do? Please send me your thoughts. Thanks so much.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 Nights - 5 Rome, 5 Florence and 5 Venice

Your original schedule will let you gain quite an in depth impression of your three cities. I wouldn't dilute that with one day trips elsewhere.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 Nights - 5 Rome, 5 Florence and 5 Venice

I absolutely agree with tuscan. It's refreshing to see an itinerary where you're not trying to cram 4-6 cities in 2 weeks (which we've all seen way too many times!). There is more than enough in each of those cities to keep you enthralled and busy. When you start filling those days with things you want to see, you'll still end up having to make choices on what your priorities are.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 20:57
Cascais, Portugal
Level Contributor
344 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 Nights - 5 Rome, 5 Florence and 5 Venice

I agree with the others - this is a great way to split up your time. All three cities are wonderful and could fill much longer than 5 days. Anything less really doesn't do them justice. If you by some chance run out of things to do in any of the cities, there are great day trips just a short train ride away.

Pottersville, New...
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 Nights - 5 Rome, 5 Florence and 5 Venice

Yes, five days in each city is a nice plan, however your thought of spending three nights somewhere else is not a bad idea either. You'd still have 4 nights in Florence, and 3 in Venice, which is enough to get a good taste of each city. If you do choose to go that route, I'd suggest a small town, perhaps in Tuscany or Umbria for three nights. Since the rest your time will be in large cities, it would be nice to get a few nights in the Italian countryside. Are you open to renting a car? A car is very helpful in the countryside, but it is also possible to pick a town accessible by train.

What time of year is this and Are your flights set? If summer, a nice option that provides some relief from the heat could be a few nights in Lake Como. But that would usually work best if you're traveling through Milan. If you happen to be flying home from there, a few days at the lake would make a nice end to your trip.

The good news is that you can't make a bad choice. You will love Italy no matter what you choose! Buon viaggio.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 Nights - 5 Rome, 5 Florence and 5 Venice

If you want to experience Venice, Florence, and Rome...go for it! Five days each is even better! We've done that trip twice...and loved it both times. It's good because it's simple: Fly into Venice, train to Florence, and train on to Rome, and fly home from Rome...piece of cake! If this is your first trip to Italy don't screw it up buy trying to fit in an extra spot to see. You can take day trips out of each city if you want. You could day trip to Verona from Venice, Tuscany from Florence, and Ostia Antica from Rome (or something like that). But that is only my opinion. If you can make the trip with just a 21" carry-on each, plus a small over the shoulder bag, so much the better! Good luck!

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
10,195 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15 Nights - 5 Rome, 5 Florence and 5 Venice

hi: going to the big 3 is fabulous; i would not dilute it......but as far as i can tell, you haven't added in travel time from Rome to Florence and Florence to Venice. You should add in 1/2 day for each transport from point A to point B, even if the train says it's only 3 hrs, you've got to have breakfast from your departing city, pack, get to train station, wait, possible transfer along the way, arrive, try to find hotel and get lost, climb 3 flights of stairs, flop on your bed....1/2 day. So, if you add your travel time in between these 3 cities...that's 1 day right there. Also, 5 nights somewhere is 4 days...if you have a good guide book, you will fill up your time easily with wonderfulness...and there's always a boat trip to Murano from Venice, or a day-trip to Siena from Florence.....the Cinque Terre is too far away for a "day trip" of any merit and you'd be on the train for 6 hours, r/t. Where are you flying in and out? do you have an open-jaw itinerary? You want to be in your departure city the night before ...

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 15 Nights - 5 Rome, 5 Florence and 5 Venice

We did similar to this.

Rome 5

Florence 6 side trips to Pisa, Lucca, Siena, Sampn Gimignano and Chianti

Venice 3

It was perfect, though I wished I had more time in Venice, which your plan addresses.

We had a fabulous time and we were able to enjoy the cities in a leisurely way.

However we will have to go back to Venice to finish what we started.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 15 Nights - 5 Rome, 5 Florence and 5 Venice

I was going to suggest the side trips from Florence. The city is well placed as a hub for transport, so a train to Pisa, then to Lucca; a bus to Siena (lands you in the city centre rather than the train station on the plain below)

You shouldn't need to change trains on your journeys between the major cities. Go to www.trenitalia.com click on the UK flag and try to book up to 120 days in advance for the cheapest (supereconomy) tickets. Make sure you set date and time on the front page.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
12,033 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 15 Nights - 5 Rome, 5 Florence and 5 Venice

I personally would spend an extra day in Rome and 1 less in Venice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 15 Nights - 5 Rome, 5 Florence and 5 Venice

And I personally would cut a lot of Florence and give more time to both Venice and Rome. We all have our own ideas and preferences which are likely to have different emphases. Smartcar, do what feels right for you, not what we decide is right for us. And have a great holiday.