We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Itinerary

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip Itinerary

Hello All,

I'm excited about our upcoming trip to Italy. We're going to be staying in Rome, however, we decided to take a day trip to Florence during our visit. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the following itinerary. We're interested in visiting the following while we're there:

Accademia Gallery

Bapistry/Duomo

Palazzo Vecchio

Uffizi Gallery

Piazza Della Republica (heard that this is a good place for lunch)

Leather Shopping (i.e. Santa Croce Leather School, David Cerasi, Oro Due)

A couple of quick questions on the above. Firstly, would this be too much to do in one day? For the museums, we would likely take a more abridged tour of an hour or two and see the main highlights. Additionally, I understand that we'd need to buy timed tickets in advance for Accademia and Uffizi...what about Bapistry/Duomo and Palazzo Vecchio? Do these require advanced/timed tickets as well...and for all of the above are there still long lines even if I were to buy advanced tickets?

Finally...what time should I aim for my train to arrive in Florence and depart in order to maximize our time there? And if anyone can give any other recommendations or ideas to make the day trip fun and worthwhile, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip Itinerary

Hi Again,

As a follow-up, I'd just like to clarify that we usually have a greater appreciation for architecture opposed to art...so one thought would be that it might make more sense to simply visit Accademia (see David and some of the other works), and skip Uffizi to allow more time at Bapistry/Duomo and Palazzo Vecchio.

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments on that idea and feasibility. Also for reference, we're planning on visiting Florence on a Thursday in May.

Thanks again!

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip Itinerary

Take a train that gets you there at 8am. :) And one that takes you home at 8:30pm (you'll be back in Rome at 10pm). That's a long day, but if you're willing...

That is a lot to cram into the day. But really, you can do the bulk of the Accademia in an hour. The Uffizi, you can hit all the highlights in 2 hours. And yes, both of those, if you make a reservation, you have to make a reservation for a set time. Otherwise, you can stand in line with everyone else. :)

Throw in lunch, and that is 1/2 your day. You need at least an hour if you are going to climb the dome at the Duomo (so worth it), depending on the line. You can do the Baptistry in 30 minutes.

If you leave the rest of the day for shopping, that will cover the whole day.

I cannot remember how long you have in Rome, but perhaps you should spend one night in Florence and train back the next day. :)

(It will cost around €15 to take a taxi up to Piazzale Michelango for the sunset (if you leave from around the Duomo). You can walk or bus back down. Or take a taxi. THIS I would plan into my one day in Florence.

Good luck!

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip Itinerary

hi: wow....let's take a look at that day. Even with reserved tickets, there can be lines (although not terrible). Firstly, you have too much planned for one day in Florence!~even with just an hour or two in each major site, (the Uffizi is huge....study up so you can by-pass the areas and rooms you are not interested in)....you still need to have lunch and walk around and you want to go shopping too ....wouldn't it be nicer to have some free time so you can actually take in Florence? perhaps have a cafe or gelato? ....just walking around the city center is fun ..... also take a stroll across the Ponte Vecchio and walk around the Oltrano district and Santo Spirito...eat the best pizza ever at GUSTA PIZZA.......get to Florence at your earliest convenience and leave at your latest! Look up on the right side of the Florence forum and read "one day in Florence" for ideas.....

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip Itinerary

your other post came before mine, so yes!....not going to the Uffizi would be a good idea, allowing you more time for the incredible duomos and buildings you wish to see. Florence is magnificent...be outside as much as possible...walk as much as possible...eat as much as possible....

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip Itinerary

PS Since there is good shopping in the area around Santa Croce, too- I'd consider adding the church of Santa Croce. How can you not go in and see the tombs of Michelangelo? Rossini? Galileo? Machiavelli? (I'll tell you something that is not well-known about Galileo's tomb.. his oldest daughter [whom he was very close to, even though he put her in a convent at a very young age] is entombed with him, though you will see no indication of it at his tomb.)

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip Itinerary

I second that thought- skip the Uffizi. :) I know so many people who love it, but I'm not a big fan of Renaissance art. Too dark and too religious. I most assuredly love the Botticelli's, but you are on to something there with skipping the Uffizi. :)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip Itinerary

Too many things for a single day. Skip the museums, definitely add Piazzale Michelangelo for the best view of Florence and some more sights, such as Basilica di Santa Croce.

Maximise your time taking the first train from Rome and the last from Florence.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip Itinerary

Just to address a couple of questions that haven't been answered. You will find big queues at the Accademia and Uffizi (but I think you've decided to drop that now), but advanced reservations means you will join a shorter queue and shouldn't have to wait more than 10-15 mins to get in. At the baptistry and Palazzo Vecchio there shouldn't be much of/any queue. There will likely be a long line at the Duomo and there is nothing you can do to skip this as entrance if free, but it does move quite quickly. I would go here as soon as you arrive, as the queues get worse as the day goes on. The queue to climb the dome (if you were planning this) is more slow moving, so if there is a queue here and you are pressed for time, then you might consider climbing the campanile instead which rarely has much of a queue.

I think the Piazza della Repubblica is a nice place for a drink, but I wouldn't choose it for lunch.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,103 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip Itinerary

I was going to suggest arriving at 5am and leaving at 11pm :)

When I see the words "not going to the Uffizi would be a good idea", I reach for my revolver, but in these circumstances it's probably sensible. Even if I am pushed for time and although I am on first-name terms with most of the paintings, I find it difficult to get round in less than 2-3 hrs and even if you have reservations, the place can often be heaving with large tour groups who will be having a 20-minute lecture at each of the most famous canvasses.

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip Itinerary

Wow thank you for all of the feedback everyone! It's greatly appreciated! Would would it make sense to arrive around 8 and walk straight to the Duomo (how far is the walk from the train station), visit the Duomo and and climb the dome, and then visit the bapistry afterward? It sounds like there are no advanced tickets for any of the above, is that correct? Would the same work for the dome climb? Following those, do you think if I booked an Accademia ticket around 11am that this would be enough time for Duomo and bapistry...or make that time even earlier or later?

After lunch (any great recommendations?), I think we'd make our way to Palazzo Vecchio (are there advance tickets for this?) and then keep the rest of the day open for wandering and shopping followed by having dinner and taking a train around 8ish.

Does this sound like a decent itinerary, or is there more/less that we should/shoudn't be doing?

Thanks again!