We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car return in Florence

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
rental car return in Florence

I'm planning on renting a car in to drive from Rome to Montepulciano in July. After a week there, we'll be driving to Florence and staying one week (apartment is in the Oltrarno). I was planning to pick up the car at Termini in Rome and return to the airport in Florence on arrival, however after checking AutoEurope drop off locations I noticed that a location on Via Del Sansovino looks like it might be convenient for us. I checked the ztl zone map and the car return location looks well outside of it... is this an OK plan, or am I missing something?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,621 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car return in Florence

You also need to beware of bus lanes in Florence. Driving in a bus lane is also enforced by cameras and €100 fines.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car return in Florence

So are bus lanes more of an issue returning to Via del Sansovino (rather than the airport)?

And as far as the ztl, no problems?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car return in Florence

I have been embarrassed by that particular car office. I planned to return a car there, i studied maps, viaMichelin, carefully, I thought I knew how to drive in Florence.

I never did find the place, and I got a ticket for driving in a bus lane while trying. i ended up going to the airport to return the car.

So, I guess that viaSansovino is a good location, it certainly looked good to me, but it is possible to go astray. perhaps you will be more precise or luckier than I was.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car return in Florence

After countless visits to Florence going back to 1967, I gave up on driving into Florence ten years ago. Returning a rental auto to central Florence is a setup for failure. Return the car to the airport.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car return in Florence

Ok thanks. Will probably return to airport or else to Chiusi and take the train...

6. Re: rental car return in Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 06:16