We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire in florence

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
car hire in florence

Is there any advantage in booking a hire car from outside of Italy? We will be in Italy in June. Any recommendations gratefully accepted.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,128 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire in florence

If you book well in advance, it will cost much less than walk-up. In June, you may not get the kind of car you want unless you book.

Two reputable agencies that arrange cheap rentals with the major companies are www.autoeurope.com and www.driveaway.com

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire in florence

thanks for the info. What about a sat nav? Worth the extra? Can you set them to English?

Also, We are travelling from Reiti to Naples. I'm thinking regionale to Rome. Is there a fast train from Rome to Naples? We are then taking a ferry across to Ischia. Do you know if the railway station is far from the ferry terminal. We don't speak Italian just a few words so asking directions will pose a difficulty, fun but difficult.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,128 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire in florence

I think you do best to get your own sat nav and load it with Italy map. That way you can get used to how it works at home on familiar roads. The devices are so inexpensive now, it might cost less than renting one from the car rental company.

There are fast trains from Rome to Naples: see www.trenitalia.com and www.italotreno.it

It is a bit under 2 km from Naples station to the Ischia ferry. You would do best to take a taxi.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,832 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire in florence

Sat Nav comes with a choice of languages these days.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 04:35
Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire in florence

thankyou. I was unaware that you could load other countries maps onto a sat nav bought in Aus. Best way to go. Also many thanks re the Naples rail station to the ferry terminal. Definitely a taxi! Do we negotiate the price before we take the cab or are they all metered like here?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,128 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire in florence

If you go to the web site of the manufacturer of your GPS, you can find out how your device can have extra maps added.

Taxis in Naples are supposed to charge by the meter, but this is Naples. I think there may officially be a fixed price of maybe €11 for station to part, but I would ask the driver for an estimate before getting in.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire in florence

Great thanks !

8. Re: car hire in florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:16