We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Pizza?

Switzerland
Level Contributor
566 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Best Pizza?

We need recommendations for amazing Pizza for lunch this Saturday in Florence.

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Pizza?

500+ posts and you don't know how to search the Forum for "best pizza?"

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Pizza?

To state the obvious: there's no such thing as "best' anything, people have their own personal tastes. I prefer a thin Roman type base while others like the thicker Neapolitan one.

Look for a Pizzeria with a wood fired oven rather than a restaurant which also serves pizza, where quite often, the base has been frozen - anything that has been frozen is marked with an asterisk or similar and an explanation given at the foot of the menu.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
566 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Pizza?

Ok apologies datthecoast, it appears that the other people also on this forum who posted before me on the topic could have done the same, as most questions on the forum are repeats in one form or another. Someone with over 6000 forum posts should already know that:) Since my trip is also coming up in a few days and making reservations might be difficult, I wanted to get your ideas but nevermind.

And lady, also to state the obvious, indeed there is no best anything, but I guess when people ask for advice on anything on this forum, it is always based on opinions (best time to visit, best gallery, best restaurant, best route to get there etc).

Will just play it by ear when I get there. Thanks.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,839 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Pizza?

Actually, "best" anythings on this board are often accompanied by the OP's criteria ("what's the best time to visit to avoid the crowds / see sunflowers / taste new olive oil"), there is no best gallery nor best restaurants, it's all so subjective. Lady Bracknell's answer was spot on in that her idea of a great pizza is possibly very different to yours. I don't know what pizzas are like in Zug but I often overhear American tourists commenting on pizzas in Italy saying how different they are to back home. So what's the best? Who knows.

California
Level Contributor
11,889 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Pizza?

well....the BEST PIZZA i have ever had (so far) was in Florence and it was at GUSTA PIZZA near Santo Spirito in the Oltrano district. Gusta Pizza, Via Maggio 45r. Enjoy.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
566 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Pizza?

Right, thats why i said it is based on opinions of those who have been there, i.e. subjective. Sorry for the incorrect wording, as i guess by best i meant popular. As i said, no worries, i will figure it out once i get there since no one seems to have any recommendations on this front. Thanks anyway.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
566 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Pizza?

Thank you, chestercat!

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Pizza?

chester- I hope the OP comes back to pick that up. I actually heard that somewhere else, too, about Gusta Pizza. I'll be heading there in a couple weeks when I'm in Florence! thanks!

ymm
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
322 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Pizza?

Let me ask the more specific question of where I can find great Naples style pizza.

And is that really true that menus will indicate that a frozen crust is used? That's wonderfully clear advertising!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Pizza?

Someone correct me about this, but pizza means just "a pie." American-style pizza can be good, Turkish-style pide can be good, and there are so many styles of Italian pizze.

Years ago, I met a couple from Spain, who loved the area around Naples. They took me to a tiny place with an oven, and claimed it was the best pizza ever. It was served, and they were right. It was bread with half a fresh tomato -maybe a bit of olive oil. Since then, that is the standard I judge all pizze by.

-- Steve

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe