We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in Chianti

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay in Chianti

I need help - I've been reading the Forum, but still need advices, please.

We are renting a car from Florence airport (thanks to all the advices to other tourists), and want to stay in a lovely town or smaller place, but to be able to go to a local market, buy local food, cheese and wine; walk around and sit @cafe, and be able to drive to other places/towns to explore.

Thank you!

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in Chianti

You can't really go wrong anywhere in the Chianti but if I were to stay anywhere, I think I'd opt for either Radda, because it's so pretty and I love the countryside to the south, or Panzano because it's so central being mid-way (almost) between Florence and Siena and well positioned for getting around.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in Chianti

The towns of the Chianti Classico such as Radda, Castellina, Panzano, and Greve are all nice for what you are looking for.

We like Greve(www.greve-in-chianti.com) and the area around it. The town has one of the oldest deli's in Chianti and a number of other deli's, nice bakery, ice cream and wine tasting in the old wine cellar. There is an excellent selection of restaurants and close enough to the other towns to enjoy their restaurants.

There is available free parking and a nice out door market on Saturday mornings.

The walks up the hill to the old village of Montefioralle are lovely and the views from their are amazing.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in Chianti

How long to drive to Greve from Florence airport?

UK
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in Chianti

About an hour

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in Chianti

As stated by ricardoBA, in the middle, near Greve and Panzano:

chianti.info/chianti/…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in Chianti

so thank you very much for all your advices! I'll be looking into those places. My husband loves the country sides and I prefer to be able to walk around in the evenings to absorb the beauty of Italy... So far I saw that Greve is the place might be.

7. Re: Best place to stay in Chianti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 06:17