We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence Taxi Advice

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Florence Taxi Advice

Just a quick advice re cab drivers in Florence. Avoid them by all means - they will rip you off no matter how smart you are. They have the worst attitudes of the whole world . On our final day a short taxi ride cost us 20 euro. The price should not be more than 8 euro. If you want to argue with them they can be very rude and will intimidate you. Bus is user friendly and cheap - do your homework and use bus or just walk - city is very walkable.

41 replies to this topic
Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence Taxi Advice

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but you can't tar all taxi drivers with same brush. I must have been lucky because I don't think I've ever been over charged.

Was this taxi the usual type of cab or a special, hired driver? From which point to where was your journey?

Did you what was on the meter?

Edited: 10 April 2014, 19:04
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence Taxi Advice

How can anyone take such "advice" seriously for a second - not all drivers are the same. I've used them numerous times while there and never had one whiff of something that wasn't legit.

These kinds of threads are just so insulting to an entire work force of taxi drivers in the city.

Sorry - but such generalized advice is pretty meaningless in addition to being incredibly offensive to all those who are hard working, honest people.

A little tempering of the hysteria before posting such over the top generalizations would go a long way to actually maybe even offering some useful suggestions to travelers.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence Taxi Advice

We travelled by taxi at least 7/8 times during our 7 nights stay in Florence - had to hire taxi as two of our children were travelling with us. But every single time they keep on beeping something on the meter and ask for some over the top prices. In one situation the driver was even rude to my children as they were crying because of his loud voice. One of them even wanted to drive us back to the place where we started the journey. I think there has to be some strict regulations in Florence re taxi service. I think they try to con tourists by all means. I've no sympathy for them - it happened to us every single time - there is nothing generalisation here. My wife is still furious. She thinks her holiday was almost spoiled by these rude cab drivers. We were staying near Piazza della Libertà - and most of the travels involved between novella to our place, or Santa Croce to our place.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
96 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence Taxi Advice

Wow, sorry you had this experience. We've been very lucky in the taxi's we've ordered for very early in the morning from Piazza delle Signoria to the airport have arrived on time, helped with luggage and were pleasant and charged just what we expected. Did you use the telephone number to call the taxi?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence Taxi Advice

Yes, Yes! The OP's 'advice' was a bit over the top. However, perhaps the extra 12 Euros she or he paid for that taxi was meant to buy his or her pizza dinner! And yes, the indignity of being taken advantage of can be infuriating. "Ripped off" is a harsh term, however as much as I love Italy, I understand the OP's complaint. I have taken taxis in Rome (Termini to same hotel) and the fare has ranged from 12 to 35 Euros, and basically the same thing happens in Florence. I have handed a taxi driver a 50 euro note, have been distracted by him, and told that I only gave him a 20 euro note. I have argued, reasoned with, said "to hell with it", have been sent into fits of laughter, paid him, or gave him what I thought was fair, and walked away, etc., etc., etc., etc.

I have defended Italy, Italians, and the country's customs more than a few times. So I extend my thanks to you for saying you're 'sorry'...'you had a bad experience'...but getting jacked around by a taxi driver in Rome or Florence has become rather normal. I find it refreshing when I don't get drastically overcharged when catching a taxi from a railroad station. Perhaps I (or we) are targets because if the driver speaks English we communicate in English. (My Italian is pathetic) Perhaps 'ladybracknell' speaks a little Italian, and therefore the driver might assume she's a little bit 'in the know' about what is rapidly becoming a rather ugly new Italian custom. I love Italy...however, I am a bit tired of people doing the 'sorry, but' routine, routinely here on TA. And then dropping a hint that you’re a bit ‘dense’ by asking "Did you what was on the meter?" (read it) Oh course the majority of taxi drivers are honest! But a lot of good it does the person who was unluckily 'tricked' or 'conned' or ‘fleeced’ out of 10-20-30 Euros because they have arrived in Italy and a foreign city a bit tired or jet-lagged. And no...I have never been overcharged when catching a taxi from the FCO into the city where the fare is set. And personally speaking MomCat... your whole p ost on this subject is so much over the top...it literallly stunned me. There is definitely a problem with taxi drivers in Florence and Rome. Oh! It is amazing how uplifting it is to go on a rant! But I'm sure I'll regret it in a few hours...

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,345 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence Taxi Advice

I use taxis quite often in Florence. I've found the drivers to be invariably helpful, courteous and honest. The drivers I've had charged what it said on the meter. Which taxi company did you use and did the driver charge what it said on the meter? What was the route that should have cost 8 euros? Did you note the drivers registry number and file a complaint? Did you travel during the night or normal hours? A few more details would be useful to assess your experience.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence Taxi Advice

To each their own - rant-wise.

I do happen to find it appalling when people are taken for a ride, so to speak but I find it more appalling when someone thinks it is helpful and right to swipe an entire profession because a bad or a few experiences - the beginning sentence of the OP: "Just a quick advice re cab drivers in Florence. Avoid them by all means - they will rip you off no matter how smart you are." - is offensive, to me.

That is my opinion, obviously. More more than 20 years of traveling there and using taxis pretty much everywhere I have been in Italy - it has not been a problem; the OP was unfortunate but that is not carte glance (in MY opinion) to imply all of them are a bunch of thieves.

MB: if you find that over the top - so, be it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence Taxi Advice

ReallyLAtravelerKentucky!?! "Did you use the telephone number to call the taxi?" What exactly does that mean? What...is there a secret telephone number I don't know about to get an honest taxi driver? To me it means...'oh you dear stupid thing, you must have done something wrong cuz' being taxi scammed has never happened to me!' And I'm sure you understand that the fare to the airport is "fixed" so of course the charge was what was expected. Also...I am so happy that those of you that have never been 'scammed' by an Italian taxi driver begin your response with "Sorry..." (exception MomCat who I do admire) but can you just forget the little back-handed remarks that follow...

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florence Taxi Advice

""Did you use the telephone number to call the taxi?" What exactly does that mean? What...is there a secret telephone number I don't know about to get an honest taxi driver?" Thank you MoltoBeneItaly - that's very insightful.

If some people regularly get conned by the cab drivers - it means system in place is not working there. Just wanted to raise some awareness so that Florence authority takes more active actions re taxi safety. We're here in Scotland we never have this problem - because this service is pretty well regulated.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence Taxi Advice

MoltoBeneItaly, I apologise for not noticing that I had missed a word from a sentence - I meant, of course, to write "Did you *see* what was on the meter?". I certainly did not imply that poplyt was "dense" as you put it, I asked because I wondered if there was a great difference between what was on the meter and what was charged.

I think the journey between Piazza della Liberta and Santa Maria Novella would normally be in excess of eight euro, but probably nowhere near twenty, I don't know, though. It's a horrible feeling to be ripped off, but I don't think it's fair to brand all taxi drivers in this way.

Reply to: Florence Taxi Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted