We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Strike options... Help!

Reno, Nv
Level Contributor
128 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Train Strike options... Help!

Hi TA friends....

We are in Vernazza, Cinque Terre, until tomorrow.

We have train tickets for tomorrow and we are told there is a strike taking place from 9pm tonight, to 9:00pm tomorrow night.

We already have train tickets from Vernazza to La Spezia to Pisa to Florence.

We think we may be able to take a ferry to Portovenere, a bus to La Spezia, bus to Pisa and bus to Florence.

We hear some trains do run during a strike. Maybe.

2 questions....

1) any comments on whether we may have any luck with the regional train segments we have purchased? If not does trenitalia give refunds when there are strikes? Or will they let us board any train running and exchange them?

2) Is our back plan the best we can do?

Grazie!!!

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Strike options... Help!

there is a possibility that the strike will be called off but if the strike does happen there is a strong possibility your trains will be canceled. The only trains that seem to run during a strike are rush hour trains and they would limited in number.

According the Trenord website which is the co that manages the trains in the Cinque Terre region, refunds can be requested at the station.

If you have to get to Florence that day? Perhaps you can change your plans?

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Strike options... Help!

Welcome to Italy, Renodecor8r - train strikes, alas, are a commonplace thing in this country. They usually only effect the regional trains which, it appears, you are taking exclusively tomorrow.

(One of us here at Artviva knows all too well and intimately the frustrations of taking these trains.)

The tickets you purchased are good for up to 6 months (not that that helps you). You can have them refunded, usually with a 10% loss on ticket price (this is a country, we remind you, where the customer is always -- or nearly always so -- wrong).

Is there any way you can follow the advice of caffe_espresso and linger another evening in the 5Terre? It would save you the fuss and bother of car/boat/train/plane (ok, we exaggerate, but you get the picture), and give you another day to enjoy the beauties of where you are.

We wish you the best of luck. And, as caffe_espresso pointed out, perhaps the strike will be called off.

Fingers. Crossed.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 18:17
3. Re: Train Strike options... Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 19:44
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Strike options... Help!

As far as i know strike was only for a day so with luck should not effect you.Anyway during strikes in Italy a minimum service is run but as i say hopefully wont effect you.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Strike options... Help!

We were in the same boat on Sunday trying to leave Manarola, attempting to get down to Montalcino, south of Siena. We had a hotel for one night there booked and paid for so our motivation was to get there. In retrospect I would have just stayed another night in Cinque Terre instead of running the gauntlet of train cancellations trying to get to our destination. The day was a nightmare and the furthest we were able to travel was Siena. We lost a whole day of our vacation and were left exhausted and still had to pay for an extra night of travel. There are too many what-if's when the trains are on strike and we suffered from it. Live and learn I guess. I hope you were able to make it to your destination!

Reno, Nv
Level Contributor
128 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Strike options... Help!

I am the original poster and here is the follow-up....We ended up having a crazy day that could have been worse. The 6:35 train from Vernazza never came. We put a stick in the door of our inn just in case. We were told the 8:10 train for sure was not coming so we went back to our room, left our stuff and planned to wait for the 10:50 ferry. Down for breakfast we went. But first, my partner thought to go check, just in case. We were told by a local who called a couple towns back that the 8:10 was coming! With four minutes, we left the cafe, ran to the inn, up 4 flights of stairs, grabbed our bags, ran back down then up the and got there with a minute to spare. Thankfully the train was a few minutes behind. That got us to La Spezia where we hooked up with a young couple to possibly share a car rental. Instead, though our original train we held tickets for came in, but then went on strike, the next one actually ran so we were able to get that one. Even tho we held ticket for the one that went on strike we still had to pay 8euro each in addition to our tickets, but did so not so gladly. we were able to take that train and made it to Pisa. Still with the other couple, we found that if we took a bus to the airport in Pisa, we could catch a bus to Florence, our destination. Finding the bus stop and the hoards of desperate people who also found out the info was crazy and there was a lot of pushing, shoving and rudeness.

So, for us, in the end, because we had originally scheduled in a three hour stop in Pisa to tour, (which we skipped), we got to our hotel only a hour later than planned. But it took ALOT of helpful Italians, willing to communicate with us, and four heads.

And in the end? The couple ended up being from our city, and the young girl had gone to school with my son since Jr. High. What a small small world we live in!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,954 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Strike options... Help!

I know it didn't feel this way at the time, but I bet it becomes one of your favorite stories over time. I have had more than my share of such unexpected (and, at the time, a bit stressful) moments with trains, planes, boats, etc and, in the end, they do end up being a bit exhilarating and somewhat fun with all the neat folks you meet on the way in these situations.

Sometimes, there is just so much you can do and you did very well! And, yes, wow - what a small world!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,954 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Strike options... Help!

I know it didn't feel this way at the time, but I bet it becomes one of your favorite stories over time. I have had more than my share of such unexpected (and, at the time, a bit stressful) moments with trains, planes, boats, etc and, in the end, they do end up being a bit exhilarating and somewhat fun with all the neat folks you meet on the way in these situations.

Sometimes, there is just so much you can do and you did very well! And, yes, wow - what a small world!

9. Re: Train Strike options... Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 07:15