We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk to Duomo from train station?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Walk to Duomo from train station?

We're arriving in Florence by rail and our hotel is right by the Duomo. Does anyone know how long the walk is from the train station to the Duomo? Would it be doable with one piece of luggage on wheels?

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk to Duomo from train station?

Yes, it's walkable. 15 minutes maybe? My memory is fuzzy on that, but I'm sure if it had been horrible I'd have a definite recollection. Our B&B was near the train station and we walked to the city center every day without problem.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk to Duomo from train station?

Yes, it's walkable, and 15 minutes is probably about right. If anything, it's actually slightly closer than that. Easy to get to also, as when you exit the train station you walk right down the street straight to the Duomo. It is doable with one piece of luggage on wheels, but just a warning: the sidewalk on that street is not particularly wide, and it gets a lot of foot traffic. So if you are arriving at midday or especially during typical rush hour times, it may be frustrating shlepping the suitcase with you amidst the crowd. The other option is a short, cheap taxi ride, as there is a taxi stand right in front of the train station as you exit.

CaWino
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk to Duomo from train station?

Very walkable. We walked about 5 minutes past Duomo last September with one piece of luggage w/wheels. It's about a 10 minute walk from the train station.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk to Duomo from train station?

Very doable as everyone says. We do it every time we go to Florence. We always have a wheeled suitcase and a backpack. It's actually about 350 yards as the crow flies. We always stay very near the Duomo. Gerat place to walk around, especially at night, pedestrians only.

Michigan
Level Contributor
295 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk to Duomo from train station?

I'm less worried about the distance from the train station, and more concerned with how difficult it will be to actually find our hotel on foot. Do you think we will get hopelessly lost trying to find a hotel in the Duomo area when walking from train station?

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk to Duomo from train station?

What hotel are you staying in?

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walk to Duomo from train station?

If you have a good map it shouldn't be a problem. Go to

www.florenceitaly.net/pic/FLORENCE.PDF and look at that map. It's one of the better ones of Florence I've seen on the net. You can zoom in or out and print it off. We've always found the people around that area extremely helpful when looking for something.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
242 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walk to Duomo from train station?

Not only is it doable, it's a nice walk.