We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regional train schedule and machines take cash or credit

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Regional train schedule and machines take cash or credit

I will be going from Palazzolo sull'Oglio to florence in about one month. I want to take regional all the way but am having trouble looking at the schedules for the trains. On trenitaly I can't figure out how to just look at regional train schedule. Can you do that? I would like to go from Palazzolo to Brescia then to bologna and finally to florence. But so far I can find only trains that go through Milan and they aren't the regional trains or maybe one is and the rest aren't.

The next part of my question is if anyone knows about when buying the regional tickets do all the machines take cash or only credit card? I know that at the train station in pisa(rossore not Centrale) that they do take cash but it looks like the ones in Florence SMN only take cards. So I would need to buy a ticket with cash at Palazzolo sull'Oglio, Brescia, and bologna. Does anyone know? Any help appreciated!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regional train schedule and machines take cash or credit

It doesn't look like there is a direct Brescia-Bologna option.

I'm pretty sure that all the machines - if working properly - take both cash and credit....but that's the "if." Sometimes credit will be the only option.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,919 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regional train schedule and machines take cash or credit

There is a timetable change on 14 June, and times for most Regionale trains are not yet available after that date. Use a date before then for your planning.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,497 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Regional train schedule and machines take cash or credit

The Trenitalia website is very poor indeed at showing long distance Regional connections - it is programmed to show the fastest connections, not the cheapest.

You may find it easier to use reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en? and tick the box for 'carriage of bicycle on train', as this eliminates most trains other than Regional trains. You'll still need a date before June 14, and you will still have to split the journey up into stages, as otherwise the website will only show you journeys with just one change, using a Regional train direct from Palazzolo to Pisa - again because the website is programmed for speed, and on Regional trains that will be faster than going via Bologna which will require yet another change at Prato.

Charlotte, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Regional train schedule and machines take cash or credit

The Florence train station has ticket machines that take both cash and credit cards, but your credit card needs to have a 4-digit PIN to make the transaction work. You can buy tickets inside at the ticket counter with credit cards that do NOT have a 4-digit PIN but the queue is usually quite long.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,827 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Regional train schedule and machines take cash or credit

The electronic ticket machines at Firenze SMN will also accept DEBIT cards with a 4-digit pin.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Regional train schedule and machines take cash or credit

But for a variety of reasons, I wouldn't use my debit card to make purchases abroad...

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Regional train schedule and machines take cash or credit

Thank you all so much for your answers! Now I know what I need to do. So helpful!

8. Re: Regional train schedule and machines take cash or credit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 05:16