We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Florence Trip - Advice Please :-)

Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
First Florence Trip - Advice Please :-)

Hi everyone,

we are going to be staying in florence for three nights in july at the

Villa Carlotta Hotel (Via Michele Di Lando) which is nr the bobli gardens i think.

We have noticed that it slightly away from the main city but thinking its probably quieter her and only about 20 mins walk.

I was looking at the firenze card as we want to go to boboli gardens, pitti palace, uffuzi, accademia and also the cathedral. Does this card cover all of these?

Ive noticed you can order the card online, but where do you pick the card up from?

Was also thinking about popping over to pisa, but think we might not have enough time. lol

Duomo - Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Church of Santa Maria Novella
Architectural Buildings, Churches & Cathedrals
Cappelle Medicee
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Chiesa e Museo di Orsanmichele
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Art Museums, Churches & Cathedrals
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Florence Trip - Advice Please :-)

That is quite a way out, I would say a good 45 mins walk from the Duomo, but there will be buses that you could take. if you go to the Firenze card website, it will tell you exactly what is covered and where you can buy it or pick it up:

http://www.firenzecard.it/?lang=en

You might want to consider the Amici degli Uffizi card which allows you unlimited entrances as if you were going to walk in an out of the city, it might be nice to walk through the Boboli Gardens every day, instead of walking the roads.

Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Florence Trip - Advice Please :-)

Surely the Firenze card would let me walk through the gardens every day wouldn't it?

I'm not sure if the cathedral is on there or not as not sure what it's called.

How do I pick up my Firenze card if ordered online?

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
10,170 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Florence Trip - Advice Please :-)

hi: if you have the possibility, i would try to book lodging closer to the city center or in the city itself. You will enjoy being able to go back to your hotel quickly for a rest/change of clothes and just being closer to everything. Also, with only 3 nights in Florence (which is 2 days), I would not recommend "popping over to Pisa" as the expense of Florence. You would lose 1/2 day. There much more to this city than the Uffizi and the Accademia ... give yourself time to explore the neighborhoods and soak in what makes Florence so magnificent.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Florence Trip - Advice Please :-)

No, the Firenze Card allows you only one single entrance to each place covered, so you would only be allowed into the Boboli Gardens on one occasion.

If you go to the website I gave you the link for, you will see a number of tabs across the top, click on the one called 'collect' and you will see a map of the places where you can pick up the card if you buy it online.

The Duomo itself is not covered by the card as it is free to enter to everyone. The Baptistry, crypt, campanile and to climb the dome are all covered by the Firenze card.

Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Florence Trip - Advice Please :-)

Thankyou :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,034 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Florence Trip - Advice Please :-)

There is a bus that runs down Via Romana to the center -- so you can use the bus into town. We have stayed at apartments past the Porta Romana and loved it BUT we had spent many weeks in Florence over the years before that. On a first trip I would stay closer in. However if you don't, there is the bus.

If you want to walk through the gardens daily -- which is what we did when we stayed out there -- get an Amici card which allows unlimited entries at the back gate of the Boboli gardens. We found the walk through the gardens into town to be very pleasant. There are also some good small restaurants that are not touristy out on the fringes beyond Porta Romana.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Grand Forks, North...
Level Contributor
157 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Florence Trip - Advice Please :-)

Hi,

I need some help, too as a first time visitor. I booked a hotel through booking.com and the name of it is hostel centrale - address Via Faenza 20, Florence, 50123, Italy. However, when I searched it again, tripadvisor shows a different hostel Centrake with a different address and upon zooming in the map, I see a Barbara's guesthouse, but no hotel/hostel named Centrale. I emailed them, but didn't hear back. I understand all properties may not show up in google map, but does anyone know if this hotel/hostel really exist there? There were lots of reviews in booking.com and looked like it is a very basic place with a great location....close to the SMN station and historic centre of the city. All we need is to crash for one night since we'll be reaching Florence late on that night and leaving the next morning; so I booked the place for its value and location; but now I am really confused. What should I do? Please advise!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Florence Trip - Advice Please :-)

I can see it on tripadvisor - here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187895-d1625…

Booking.com says 20, Via Faenza, tripadvisor and google maps say 46r Via Faenza

Looks like it is in Via Faenza. There is a double numbering system in Florence numbers followed by 'r' are shops and businesses, private buildings are just the plain number. Therefore, I would guess the 46r is probably correct.

Kernersville, NC
Level Contributor
270 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Florence Trip - Advice Please :-)

AtrG2013, your hostel does exist. Here is its website: http://www.ostellocentrale.com/index.html According to that site, the address is 46 Via Faenza. If you Google "hostel centrale florence" you can get a street level view that shows the entrance. Check these things out, and I think that should reduce your anxiety.

Grand Forks, North...
Level Contributor
157 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Florence Trip - Advice Please :-)

Peggypatch & & RGC 1600 - thank you much. I am now a bit disheartened to see the reviews.....how did I miss the 's' ...it is a hostel, not a hotel :( I guess I have to either look into canceling it (if we need a decent place to crash for night) or be prepared for something poor as described by the reviewers!