We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st or 2nd class train journey?

Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
48 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
1st or 2nd class train journey?

Going to take the train from Florence to Genoa via Pisa - for the section from Pisa to Genoa, is it worth buying first rather than second class tickets. We'll be arriving in Genoa just after 2 pm if the plans come together.

many thanks

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st or 2nd class train journey?

No, it's a waste of money for most. An exception is if you are a particularly huge person who needs 8 centimeters additional seat/shoulder room to fit comfortably in the seat.

Boiling Springs...
Level Contributor
203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st or 2nd class train journey?

I've only bought first when I have bought tickets several months in advance and the price was really inexpensive.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st or 2nd class train journey?

There are some pictures and other info that will help you here: …blogspot.com/2013/06/whats-difference-betwe…

I've done a few trips First Class when I've stumbled across first class special offers that equalled (or, in one case, bettered) second class discounts. I must say it was remarkably comfortable! However, second class is very good and your routes are quite short.

Fort Madison
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st or 2nd class train journey?

I was once told that first and second class trains get to their destination at the same time. LOL for short rides I don't think it is worth the extra cost. the ride to Pisa is a sort one. and at 85 mph it goes by in a hurry.

5. Re: 1st or 2nd class train journey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:16