We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firenze Card debate

coventry, england
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Firenze Card debate

Many things written on this forum, but having just returned from 3 days and buying the Firenze card was best thing we did. Apart from a small saving, considering its impossible to visit all places covered by the card in 72hrs!, the advantage of avoiding the que's is worth it alone.

Disappointed in the Baptisery being covered in scaffold and Cathedral museum being shut until next year but no way distracts from what is a special place

sfc
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
617 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firenze Card debate

That's good to know because I purchased two online a few days ago specifically for the convenience factor. My husband and I will be in Florence for four days, mid-July, and the last thing we want to do is waste time in queues, especially if it's hot. Not cheap, but for us, well worth the cost for it's queuing advantage.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Firenze Card debate

Glad the Firenze Card worked out for you. Sorry about the Baptistry -- scaffolding is the bane of the traveler's existence. For my husband and me, it isn't a real Italian vacation unless we have a major scaffolding encounter, eg, the facade of the Duomo in Orvieto completely encompassed (2002) or the facade of Santa Maria Novella in Florence also completely encompassed (2006). We even stayed in a B&B in Rome where we looked out our window ONTO the scaffolding attached to our building ... Now that's a room with a view! I'm heading for the Garfagnana this fall, where I'm fully expecting to see yet more scaffolding. Otherwise, I won't think I'm really in Italy!

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
353 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Firenze Card debate

Obviously the "debate" will continue. We recently spent six days in Florence. We bought the card ...... with mixed results.

In all too many places, after standing in a short line (because we had the card) we were advised we had to go across the street (or down the block) to get a "ticket" (free of course) to be presented at the door with the short line.

If we returned, I doubt we'd buy the card.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,721 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Firenze Card debate

We found it very overpriced for only 3 days and so bought the Amici since we don't need transport in Florence as it is so walkable. One Agile was enough for our more distant bus trips.

It really is ridiculous to hear you have to go to a separate spot to get a ticket instead of being able to use it at the door of an attraction.

I once read that the companies that own the scaffolding business are very adept at prolonging restorations so that the rental of scaffolding is maximized; don't know if that is true but it sure seems it doesn't it. Since the great Fenice Opera house was apparently burned down by contractors seeking to extend their contract (they miscalculated the extent of the fire), it seems plausible that other building trades would be unusually corrupt.

coventry, england
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Firenze Card debate

The only place where you had to go to the ticket office to be given another ticket was for the Duomo and Baptistery everywhere else the card was used at point of entry, we only did the main attractions so it may apply to some of the less popular places.

I would not be as bold as to say everyone should buy the card when visiting for 3 days but it certainly did for us.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,611 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Firenze Card debate

Last time I used it you had to get tickets for the Pitti Palace & Boboli Gardens from the bookshop in the courtyard rather than the main ticket office, but plenty of places have separate ticket offices and entrances, not such a big deal. The trick is to look for the Firenze Card sign and head for that initially.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Firenze Card debate

Today at the Accademia we also watched two bearers of said being told to wait in the Reserved line like everyone else. We have seen this happen before on more than one occasion. Fortunately, for all involved when we were there yesterday, there was (oddly) virtually no line (unlike yesterday morning at the somewhat lacking-electricity Uffizi; those waiting to pick up (reserved) tix waited about 45 minutes).

Our mantra? One simply never knows.

Edited: 13 June 2014, 17:42
8. Re: Firenze Card debate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:16