We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last minute travel questions for trip that starts Saturday

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
last minute travel questions for trip that starts Saturday

Hello! We leave on Saturday for Italy on a long awaited 20th wedding anniversary trip. Basic info: fly in to Venice, arriving morning on Sunday, 6/22. Depart for Florence via train on Monday, 6/23. Two nights in Florence, then travel via train to Cinque Terra for 2 nights. Travel via train, arrive Rome for 3 nights, depart for home on Monday, 6.30.

A few last minute questions:

is is too late to make on-line reservations for the Uffizi?

Husband really wants to make a day trip to where the Ferrari factory is. Doable in one day?

Can I get a Firenze Card when I get there, or should I get in before we leave? Not sure which day we will be doing Ferrari factory, going to try to get hotel concierge to set it up.

Where can I get train schedules on-line? We don't have any hard and fast reservations except for the Vatican, but I think it would be a good idea to at least have a general idea of which trains we will be trying to catch.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
California
Level Contributor
11,901 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: last minute travel questions for trip that starts Saturday

hi: firstly congratulations on your 20th wedding anniversary trip! What came to my mind immediately is that you have 7.5 days and are going to 4 destinations (Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre, Rome) and also wish to go to the Ferrari factory, which is in Alessandria, north of Genoa. Please tell me which city were you thinking you wouldn't visit so you can go to this factory?

If I could suggest anything about this itinerary, it would be to leave the Cinque Terre for another trip. You aren't even in Venice one day! and then only 1.5 days in Florence! then traveling for 3+ hrs to the Cinque Terre and then from there....all the way to Rome, taking different trains. You will have little more than 2 days in Rome with that schedule. Do understand travel time on trains, as well as the time before you get to the station and the hour (minimum) after you arrive trying to get to your hotel, is much longer than one realizes. Your itinerary has you packing and unpacking and in transport so much of the time ....if i had 7 days/8 nights, i would hope to explore and enjoy my time in two cities and have a day-trip (or two) on the side. For example: fly into Florence, stay 3.5 days/4 nights (include a day-trip to Siena), train to Rome, stay 3.5 days/4 nights. Fly out of Rome....Since you leave Saturday, I guess everything is a done deal but i do recommend you leave the car factory for another time -- i wish you a wonderful time!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: last minute travel questions for trip that starts Saturday

Phone for Uffizi they have more tickets see FAQ museum tickets on the right.

Yes, you can buy FC there, go to their website and click the link 'buy' to see where.

Go to trenitalia.it for train timetables.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: last minute travel questions for trip that starts Saturday

I will answer just the Ferrari portion of your question:

The Ferrari factory and museum are in Maranello, near Modena/Bologna...not Alessandria (I think this is just a huge factory store).

The museum is very interesting though quite small - less than an hour required to view. Then there is the factory tour. Unless you are a Ferrari dealer or owner, you can not actually go into the factory itself. There is a 30 minute or so bus tour, where you drive around the outside of the buildings (you do not ever get off the bus) and are explained to about which building is for what (this if for the engine, etc). So it is not very exciting in my opinion. Lastly, around the area, there are several places where you can drive a Ferrari, with a driver in the car...for a cost, one of these being "Push Start". The cost is pretty high for just a few short minutes. I think it was 75 euros last time I was there for 10-15 minutes.

So, the point of my answer is that for the short period of time that you are in Italy, I would enjoy the destinations that you have already outlined instead of adding a side trip to Maranello. It would be a full day, there and back for just such a short time and not really getting to see much.

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
4. Re: last minute travel questions for trip that starts Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 06:16