We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car for two days, but staying in florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bedford
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car for two days, but staying in florence

Hi there, the plan is to stay in florence for 4 nights and already have reservations.

Looking at two day trips:

1. out to sienna for some Palio festivities (PRIOR to the actual Palio)

2. out to chianti/wineries/driving around exploring etc

I read where people recommended picking car up at the airport (post even today)..but wanted to ask if there is a suggestion of where to park the car for a night. Is there parking at the airport where I can leave it overnight.

Something like this:

Day 1 rental bus/train to airport

pick up car - drive to sienna park outside city walk in

(depending on time, drive around - drive back to airport)

PARK CAR at airport

Bus/train back to Florence Train station

Day 2 -- repeat above - pick car up where we parked it.

Thanks - would love recommendations.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Naperville
Level Contributor
916 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car for two days, but staying in florence

That seems like a lot of unnecessary driving to me, I understand wanting a car but have you thought of staying at a hotel on the Oltrano out of the ZTL? Hotel David has parking so you could just stay there with the car and turn it in when finished and then maybe move to your original hotel for the last two nights if your heart is set on it or just stay at the David the whole time. If you think it's too far to walk to the center, there are convenient buses.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 01:54
bedford
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car for two days, but staying in florence

Thanks. The place I am staying is already paid. Interesting the owner said I can park in one of 4 garages but tell them to elininate the tzl fine. I don't want to count on that.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car for two days, but staying in florence

FAQ - Parking in Florence:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c145503/Tusca…

bedford
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car for two days, but staying in florence

Thanks for that link..that is perfect.

I see they do have many options.

Since there is parking near the train station is it really that difficult to get in and out of the rental car at the train station. and leave town without getting into TLZ zone.

Also - are the rental car places near the train station are those still considered downtown?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car for two days, but staying in florence

In all honesty, getting out of Florence is one thing, coming back in a whole other. If you get clear instructions on how to leave from the train station area (yes this is considered downtown) it is possible, but I personally would not risk driving back into central Florence at all. It is not just the ZTL, but the bus lanes are also policed by camera and heavy fines and so many people get caught out. I would only be looking at parking outside the zone myself.

6. Re: Rental car for two days, but staying in florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 06:16