We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Tuscany to Florence to Positano - best route?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Minnesota
1 post
Save Topic
Rome to Tuscany to Florence to Positano - best route?

Hello! This is my first time to ask a question on Trip Advisor so forgive me :)

My husband and I will be traveling to Italy this summer. We are arriving in Rome on Tuesday, July 29th around 5:00pm. We plan to rent a car and drive to Paciano where we have a family friend's apartment to stay in (for free! Couldn't pass it up).

We have 4 nights available to us there. Our plan is to explore surrounding towns and definitely do a day trip to Siena. We are thinking we will pack up on our last day, return the rental car at the Florence airport (Peretola) and spend a night in Florence 8/01 before the next leg of our trip. We leave 8/02 to go to Positano and plan to take the train from Florence to Naples, then either hire a driver or venture the rest of the way via train/bus.

Am I missing something that I should do instead? All feedback welcome! If there is somewhere better to return the car en route to Positano, then perhaps we do a day trip to Florence from Paciano but via train earlier in the trip?

Thank you in advance!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,199 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Tuscany to Florence to Positano - best route?

A better place to return the car is probably Foligno. Slower trains than Florence but being a much shorter distance they take around the same time and are cheaper, though you'll have to change trains in Rome.

You could also go to Salerno rather than Naples and take the ferry coopsantandrea.com/it/…

2. Re: Rome to Tuscany to Florence to Positano - best route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 06:17