We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucca or Sienna

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sutton Coldfield
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lucca or Sienna

As a day trip away from florence which would be most recommended Lucca or Sienna

Any thoughts appreciated

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucca or Sienna

It comes down to personal preference, I like Lucca well enough, but I love Siena; the Duomo is magnificent, the shell shaped Piazza del Campo is beautiful and there's so much more.

It's a hill top town built on a series of hills, which means that most of the streets are not level, but that's a plus because it makes them seem even more interesting and quirky. Somehow it has managed to retain its medieval atmosphere and, to my mind, is absolutely beautiful.

I'm sure there are others who prefer Lucca. It's boring advice, I know, but read about both and see which one interests you most.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,356 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucca or Sienna

I completely agree. Lucca is less crowded but siena edges it for me im terms of beauty and things to see. Either makes a great day trip.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucca or Sienna

which one interests you more? Truly, they are very different, each with a compelling list. It's kind of like someone asking should i go to New York City or San Francisco---you would probably ask the person, well what do you want to do in those places....so i suggest reading up a little bit and seeing which town speaks to you more...Siena is a magical medieval city. Lucca has a lovely intimate environment. In my mind, there is only one Siena but it doesn't speak to everyone.

N N
Boston...
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lucca or Sienna

Having visited both, I would pick Siena as well. There is something that's just beyond beautiful about this magnificent town. Lucca is nice too, but Siena was just perfect. We stayed at Hotel Italia which was a very short, enjoyable walk from the city walls and the area of the hotel itself was nice too.

UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lucca or Sienna

I've been to both and Sienna is definitely my preference. If you go to Sienna by car you can also do San Gimignano too as they are near each other. If you go to Lucca you can also go to Pisa or Viareggio.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,337 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lucca or Sienna

I also vote for Siena over Lucca. Siena is more striking for a day trip.

7. Re: Lucca or Sienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 05:17