We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firenze cards and children

West Linn, Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
Firenze cards and children

Going to Florence next month with my husband and children (ages 13, 15 and 17). Looking at purchasing Firenze Cards. Do my children need one as well? I'm getting mixed information as to whether or not children are free at all museums.

Or is it recommended to just purchase advance tickets? I'm hearing that only the Accademia and Uffizi have bad lines. Is this true even in August?

And when they say come early or late to avoid the worst crowds, what time is that exactly?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,324 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firenze cards and children

Come early has always been bad advice in Italy in my experience. Decades ago I waited two hours in line to get into the Vatican Museums having arrived early; the line was blocks long. We walked in without a wait at around 1 pm on another trip. Back before the Uffizi had reserved times, showing up early guaranteed an hours long wait.

Kids are now free at these museums so you don't need a Firenze card for them; it is overpriced for so short a time but it is probably worth it to not have to stand in line or struggle to get the reservations you want for the Uffizi and Academia.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Firenze cards and children

Children have free entrance to state museums, but not all of Florence's museums are owned by the state so it really depends where you want to go. If the Uffizi and Accademia are on your list and you do not have Firenze Cards or Amici degli Uffizi cards, you will need advanced reservations for everyone, including the children (although for the children you will just pay the reservation fee of 4 euros) in order to skip the lines. See FAQ - Museum tickets on the right for how to do this. I'm not sure why Janet suggests it is a struggle to get reservations, it is all very simple, especially if you do it by phone.

3. Re: Firenze cards and children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 05:17