We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Lucca to Naples via Florence

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Train Lucca to Naples via Florence

We are trying to plan a train trip from Lucca to Naples and we know we have to change trains at Florence. Last time I was in Florence Train Station it was a nightmare trying to find the right platform to be on. Everyone we asked gave a different answer. As we don't have much time for changeover I was wondering if anyone could help please.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Lucca to Naples via Florence

Santa Maria Novella is not that big so just get off your regional train and walk toward open concourse area and look up high at the indicator boards - they will tell you where your Naples train departs. Platforms for the high speed trains are not indicated until 15-20 minutes before departure.

United States
Level Contributor
9,739 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Lucca to Naples via Florence

No one can tell which platform you will need ahead of time. They can change when the train arrives at the station. The train number will be printed on your ticket. Use that number to find the train on the big overhead display boards, then look to see which track/platform/binario the train will leave from. This info is often not posted until 15-20 minutes before departure. For example, if you are on train #9563 to Napoli, then look for that number on the board, the end point happens to be Napoli, so that will show too. Sometimes the end point is beyond where you want to go.

It's really similar to the way flights are displayed at the airport.

TAB

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Lucca to Naples via Florence

Thank you. Is it wise to book ahead from Australia on Trenitalia?

Edited: 16 July 2014, 04:31
Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Lucca to Naples via Florence

I always book ahead but that's just me - I prefer to be organised and know that I have a reserved seat. You may need more flexibility.

United States
Level Contributor
9,739 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Lucca to Naples via Florence

The main reason to purchase tickets in advance is to take advantage of discounted tickets. These come on sale 120 days in advance with restrictions.

TAB

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Lucca to Naples via Florence

Thank you I like to be organised too, so will look at purchasing 120 days before I need them. Thanks for your help.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,221 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Lucca to Naples via Florence

<I know you have to change in Florence>

There are a few connections where you change at Pisa instead, e.g. the 14.12 departure from Lucca. Though these take longer, booked in advance they are often the cheapest, with an advance fare of only €12.40 from Lucca to Naples possible on the 14.12.

8. Re: Train Lucca to Naples via Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 06:16