We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need itinerary/timing advice advice for Florence to Rome

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
96 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Need itinerary/timing advice advice for Florence to Rome

I'm a first timer to Italy in September.

(1) Found a place to stay in Florence via TA, have 4nights reserved (Friday to Tuesday) and don't have to be in Rome until the following Thursday where my daughter will be joining us. So we have 2 nights without lodging and I'm wondering if there's any easily accessible stops worthy of an overnight stay via the train. I'd love to stay in a small Tuscan village or winery, which would also make a day trip from Florence unnecessary. Or even take a day trip and continue on from there as someone mentioned in a different thread. Or should we just add 2 nights in Florence and stick with day trips?

(2) for day trip ideas, we'd like to go to Pisa/Lucca (that Puccini concert series in Lucca sounds great!), possible Cinque Terra, and also hit Siena and winery/olive oil estates. So we could manage the extra days in Florence as above, but if we can avoid too much backtracking, it'd work.

(3) can someone explain the difference between the Firenze Card and the Amici card"

(4) train travel...is there an English language website that explains the various options (passes, classes, scheduling) since we will be going from Venice to Florence to Rome plus the various day trips from Florence.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,912 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need itinerary/timing advice advice for Florence to Rome

(1) Trains don't stop in small Tuscan villages, but you seem to have so many day trips planned for only 4 days in Florence - during which I presume you also want to see Florence - that it seems to me you will need these 2 days to visit e.g. the CT or Lucca or Siena. If you stayed in Siena, rather than returning to Florence for the fast train to Rome, you could take a bus to Chiusi-Chianciano Terme and take the IC train from there.

(3) It is already explained on tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c145508/Tusca…

(4) There is no pass that would be worthwhile, just buy individual tickets: however for Venice to Florence and Florence to Rome you need to book ahead for best prices on Frecce trains. In my opinion, it would be better to take a bus to Siena and Lucca as it gets closer than the train (Siena station in particular is a long way out). However Pisa and the CT would be by train. Useful train websites are http://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm and if you find trenitalia.com too difficult, http://www.italiarail.com/city-city-tickets

Shoreview, MN
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need itinerary/timing advice advice for Florence to Rome

On the trenitalia website look at the top right and click on the English logo...everything will be in English.

Shoreview, MN
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need itinerary/timing advice advice for Florence to Rome

On the trenitalia website look at the top right and click on the English logo...everything will be in English.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need itinerary/timing advice advice for Florence to Rome

I just came back from the Tuscan region I wouldn't recommend less than 4 days stay and definitely you will need a car . If you are just doing Sienna , train is fine.

5. Re: Need itinerary/timing advice advice for Florence to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 05:15