We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How easy is it to get married in Florence, any advice?

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
How easy is it to get married in Florence, any advice?

Hi there, driving to Florence from London in September, and thinking about trying to get married there. I have no idea how easy/difficult this would be, or the best way to go around it.

We are looking for a simple ceremony, it will just be the two of us (as we'll throw a surprise party once home for friends and family)

Ideally the plan would be to get married, maybe get a photographer to capture the moment, have dinner somewhere romantic and stay somewhere fairly fabulous (but not stupid blow the budget fabulous if you get my drift). Our budget is reasonably tight having just bought our dream house, and we have both been married before, so this is just sealing the deal really (sorry I know that doesn't sound romantic at all but we've been together 13 years!) However I'd still like something memorable to look back on.

Neither of us is religious so we're not looking for a church wedding etc but we went to Florence two years ago and both loved it, and it would be nicer than just a registry office in the UK.

Would love to hear any advice you might have as I know it's fairly short notice, and may not even be possible, plus it's all a bit vague at the minute I know...

Thanks in advance

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How easy is it to get married in Florence, any advice?

This page is the official one

…lineacomune.it/ssproxy/comune_di_firenze/id…

I think that you have to google translate it

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,471 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How easy is it to get married in Florence, any advice?

So far as I know, the only people who can conduct a legal marriage in Italy are Catholic priests or an authorised officer of the local town council. I suspect that getting married in Florence Town Hall would be no more romantic than a UK Registry Office.

Reports from people who have married in Italy indicate that (as is often the case in Italy) a lot of formal paperwork is needed.

Turin
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How easy is it to get married in Florence, any advice?

Not only catholic priests (thank God...). Protestants and Jews can also avoid the double ceremony and ask their Minister/Rabbi to act as an authorised official. Don't know if Muslims signed the agreement with the state or not.

There are many protestants here in Piedmont who wouldn't bear such a privilege in favor of the Roman Catholic Church.

Ps to bear, to tolerare or...? Wich one is more correct in this case?

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How easy is it to get married in Florence, any advice?

Getting married in the rose garden in Florence is very romantic, also the town hall is stunning beautiful.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How easy is it to get married in Florence, any advice?

Hi there

I am getting married in Tuscany in a month (eek!).

If you haven't started getting your documents together, it might not be possible - the documents that you require to get married in Italy depend on your citizenship - I'm British and my fiancé is Australian so we had to get my Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) from the UK (which requires an appointment with the local Registrar and about 21 days of advertising), then have that and a bilingual stat dec legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office - the CNI is also now being translated by a lawyer in Florence. For my fiancé, we had to fly to Rome to get his Nulla Osta from the Australian Embassy which then had to be stamped by an office across the city... that was an interesting day!

For the documents that you and your fiancé will require see the following link and go through the questions:

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad

We are getting married in the Council chambers of a little town so had to book the wedding in (which was relatively straightforward but required my Aunt to arrange as my spoken Italian is terrible).

Hope this helps.

Ciao,

LilBrit

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How easy is it to get married in Florence, any advice?

@NapOrsoCapo71 - tolerate or "stand for"!

@ OP, you need a lot more documents than you would in the UK, but if you can get them all together in time (a big IF), a civil wedding ceremony in Florence would certainly be nicer than the equivalent in the UK, as they use the Palazzo Vecchio. But take heed of the fact that as Florence is very popular for weddings, you would need to book the ceremony NOW - and if this is for early September, you have already left it very late.

The rest (hotel, restaurant, photographer) you can organise after you have started the paper-chase.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 14:42
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How easy is it to get married in Florence, any advice?

Came across this recently and saved it for people asking about this -

wantedinrome.com/news/2003285/getting-marrie…

May have some useful info not previously given -

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How easy is it to get married in Florence, any advice?

@Momcat: as Napo correctly wrote not only Catholic priests, but also Jews and protestant can avoid the double Ceremony for sure.

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How easy is it to get married in Florence, any advice?

Thanks ALL for info provided so far, been really useful, especially the links which provide in a lot more detail the sort of paperwork required. I'm beginning to realise that having a simple wedding is not as easy as it seems! Will mull it over and figure out exactly what we would like to do. I still think it is more romantic (if you are from the UK anyway...) to get married in Italy than in a UK registry office.

Our travel dates are likely to be leaving the UK around 14 Sept to drive down so date of wedding would be mid-late Sept and I think if we really wanted to, it would be possible to organise something in those time-frames. I've even managed to find an award winning Italian Photographer who is potentially free to take photo's too so feeling a bit happier. I think any wedding, simple or complicated brings a little bit of stress as typically everyone wants it to run smoothly without problems. Thanks again for such wonderful advice - the trip advisor community is a great place for stuff like this! :)

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,044 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How easy is it to get married in Florence, any advice?

Since you're not spending money on a big blow-out affair, I'd consider hiring a local wedding coordinator in Florence. They know all of the ins and outs of the paperwork and they have the contacts to get it done, you just have to pay for their expertise and access.